Fisheries Restoration and Irrigation Mitigation Act (FRIMA)

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

What types of projects are eligible for cost share funding under this program?
Project proposals that are eligible for consideration include design, construction, and installation of fish screens, fish ladders, and other fish passage devices associated with water diversions located in Washington. Projects may include modifications to water diversion structures that are required for effective functioning of fish screens and other upstream or downstream fish passage improvements. The intent of the proposed diversion improvements must be to reduce fish mortality, reduce entrainment of fish in water distribution systems, or increase subsequent survival and reproductive success of fish species native to, and present in, the project area. Designated state agencies may also submit proposals to inventory eligible screening and passage needs.

What constitutes an eligible water diversion?
Water diversions are gravity flow or pump driven projects that divert water out of natural or altered stream channels for beneficial uses including agricultural, municipal, industrial, recreational, water quality or other purposes. Culverts and tide gates are not water diversions. Pumping projects operated to reduce high water levels on agricultural or other lands may meet eligibility requirements.

How do I determine the presence of native species and estimate the benefits my project improvements will have for those species?
The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service or the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife can assist you in determining presence of native fish and other aquatic species at your project site and provide guidance on beneficial effects of proposed screening or passage improvements.

Who may apply for cost share funding within this program?
Local governments including counties, cities, towns, regional governments, and service districts such as Soil and Water Conservation Districts, Irrigation Districts and Port Districts may apply for cost share funding of eligible projects. Local governments may partner with other applicants to submit joint proposals. It is anticipated that many projects will be located on privately held, state owned or federally owned land. It is expected that the landowner or owning agency would typically be a co applicant in such instances. In instances where a state agency is meeting some cost share or other project requirements, it is anticipated that they would be a co applicant. Tribal governments may submit proposals for projects on tribal lands and may partner with other eligible applicants for projects that are not located on tribal lands. Partnerships exhibiting strong community and government support are encouraged and will be given priority consideration.

How may an applicant meet the cost share requirement of 35 percent or more of the project cost?
The project applicant(s) must provide at least 35 percent of the cost of design, fabrication, and installation of the proposed screening or passage project. Part or all of this cost share requirement may be met by in-kind contributions including services, equipment, supplies, easements, fill material, disposal sites or other project requirements of documented value. With the exception of federally owned projects or projects on federal lands, this cost share requirement must be met with non federal funds and in-kind contributions.

What other requirements must be met by the project applicant(s)?
The applicant(s) must meet all other local, state, and federal requirements for construction and operation of the diversion project and proposed improvements including required permits and other approvals. The applicant(s) are also responsible for operation and maintenance costs of the project. This operation and maintenance responsibility may be met by the project applicant(s) or by a binding commitment from another responsible party.