Welcome to the WDFW Online Help Center. To find what you're after, use the search box below or choose a category to view listed questions.
View Questions by Category
There are no sub categories
Category » Firearms Possession Requirements
There were 10 questions found in this category:
- Can a person precluded by law from possessing a firearm hunt in Washington with archery equipment when legal to do so?
Such individuals can purchase an archery deer or elk tag or modern firearm deer or elk tag and legally hunt during those seasons using only legal archery equipment. Such individuals can also hunt with a crossbow during the modern firearm season if they purchased a modern firearm deer and/or elk ...
- Can a felon possess or use a muzzleloader, rifle, handgun, or shotgun for hunting?
A felon cannot possess or use a muzzleloader, rifle, handgun, or shotgun for hunting. The only exception to this rule is if the felon has had his or her right-to-bear-arms restored through a state superior court.
- Where can I find rules and regulations about firearms (especially handguns and carrying concealed weapons)?
There are two ways you can learn about firearm rules and regulations in Washington State. One way is to refer to chapter 9.41 RCW, entitled "Firearms and Dangerous Weapons," which is available online at http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41. The second way is to read the brochure re ...
- Can I have a loaded rifle or shotgun while riding a quad or motor bike while hunting?
Both quads and motor bikes are classified as motor vehicles, so any rifle or shotgun being transported on them must be unloaded.
- What are the firearms possession rules for non-U.S. citizens?
It is a class C felony for any person who is not a citizen of the United States to carry or possess any firearm, unless the person: 1) Is a lawful permanent resident; 2) has obtained a valid alien firearm license pursuant to RCW 9.41.173; or 3) meets the requirements of RCW 9.41.175. A citizen ...
- Can persons younger than 21 legally hunt with a handgun during modern firearm seasons, and legally possess a handgun during archery or muzzleloading firearm seasons?
If you are under the age of 21 and you want to use a handgun to hunt or for personal protection while hunting, you must possess a legal hunting license, be hunting during legal seasons in open areas, and not be trespassing (RCW 9.41.060 and 9.41.240). Also, the handgun must meet appropriate req ...
- Is it legal to have a loaded shotgun or rifle while riding on a mountain bike or horse while hunting?
Mountain bikes and horses are not considered motor vehicles, so it is legal to carry a loaded shotgun or rifle while riding. However, doing so is extremely dangerous and WDFW discourages anyone from taking the risk.
- Can a person precluded by law from possessing a firearm take hunter education training and hunt in Washington with archery equipment when legal to do so?
Such individuals can take a Hunter Education class if approved by the chief hunter education instructor for the specific class. They would need to go through the class without handling any real firearms or ammunition, and they would have to demonstrate their shooting ability using legal archery ...
- How old do I have to be to hunt alone?
WDFW recommends older, more experienced hunters accompany youth hunters. If born after January 1, 1972, you must complete Hunter Education or obtain a one-year, once-in-a-lifetime Hunter Education Deferral to hunt in Washington State. Hunter education can be taken at any age. If hunting under t ...
- If I'm under age 18, can I possess and use a rifle, shotgun, or muzzleloader?
If you are under 18, you can possess and use a rifle, shotgun, or muzzleloader only under the following circumstances (RCW 9.41.042): You are attending a certified hunter education course or a firearms safety course; You are shooting or target practicing at an established range where shooting ...