Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife


View Questions by Category

There are no sub categories

Category » General Hunting Rules rss button

(Page 1 of 3)      Prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next

There were 43 questions found in this category:

  1. Who needs a hunting license in Washington?
    Anyone hunting wildlife in Washington needs a hunting license. For complete hunting rules and requirements, please read the appropriate Hunting Regulation Pamphlet. For questions on child-support payment related issues, contact DSHS toll-free at 1-800-457-6202 or visit the Division of Child Su ...
  2. Where can I hunt in Washington?
    Start your search with one or all of these three sources: 1. Contact a WDFW Regional Office for tips. 2. Send an email to the Wildlife Program or call them at (360) 902-2515. 3. Check out one of our Hunting Pamphlets.
  3. Is it OK to spotlight big game if no hunting equipment is in my vehicle?
    Yes, but if you have any firearms, archery equipment, or crossbows in your vehicle, whether or not they meet legal hunting requirements, you are considered to be hunting. It is illegal to hunt big game with the aid of an artificial light or spotlight. It is illegal to use any vehicle to pursue, ...
  4. Can I remove a dead deer from my property and keep the antlers?
    No. You cannot keep the antlers or horns attached to dead wildlife. This includes dead wildlife found on your property. However, you can keep naturally shed antlers that you find. You can remove and dispose of wildlife found dead on your property. You must first notify a WDFW Regional Office be ...
  5. Who needs to take Hunter Education?
    All hunters born after January 1, 1972, need to complete Hunter Education. If you completed Hunter Education in another state, you can use that here in Washington. You must provide that proof at the time of license purchase. See WDFW's Hunter Education website for more details.
  6. Can I legally tag a deer or elk found dead along a roadway during open season?
    No. You cannot possess wildlife that you did not legally harvest. In most cases, road-killed animals are extremely bruised due to the trauma of impact, and/or they have spoiled and have little edible meat, anyway.
  7. What is the definition of "wastage," and when does it apply?
    You may not allow game animals or game birds you have taken to recklessly be wasted. You must make a reasonable attempt to remove and use all edible meat from the carcass of harvested game fish, game birds, and game animals.
  8. How old do I have to be to hunt alone?
    It depends. WDFW recommends older, more experienced hunters go with youth hunters. If born after January 1, 1972, you must complete Hunter Education or obtain a one-year, once-in-a-lifetime Hunter Education Deferral to hunt in Washington State. You can take Hunter Education at any age. However, ...
  9. Can I apply deer/elk urine, beaver musk, skunk urine, fish oil, or any other type of wildlife/fish scent on my clothing while bear hunting?
    No. All such attractants are considered baiting and can’t be used while bear hunting. “Bait” means a substance placed, exposed, deposited, distributed, scattered, or otherwise used for the purpose of attracting black bears to an area where one or more persons hunt or intend to ...
  10. Where can I find rules on Hunter Orange?
    See WDFW's Hunter Orange Requirements.
  11. Can I use fluorescent hunter-orange camouflage clothing measuring at least 400 square inches to meet hunter-orange requirements?
    Yes, but the amount of camouflage clothing that is actually fluorescent hunter-orange in color must still total 400 square inches or more on the exterior, and be worn above the waist and visible from all sides. This means the total size of the garment(s) being worn will be considerably larger th ...
  12. When and how can I train my upland bird hunting dogs?
    Bird dog training season runs from August 1-March 31, but year round training exists on some WDFW Wildlife Areas. Refer to the bird dog training season section of the Migratory Waterfowl & Upland Game pamphlet for full details. You need a small game license for training dogs on all wild bir ...
  13. What are the rules about shooting from a road?
    A person is guilty of unlawful use of a loaded firearm if the person negligently shoots a firearm from, across, or along the maintained portion of a public highway (RCW 77.15.460). It is unlawful to shoot a bow and arrow from a vehicle or from, across, or along the maintained portion of a publi ...
  14. If I remove the head from my legal bull elk or buck deer, but I leave the antlers attached, does this meet "evidence of sex" requirements in Washington?
    No. It is illegal to possess or transport big game animals unless evidence of the animal’s gender is left naturally attached to the carcass until the carcass is processed or stored for consumption. For a bull elk and buck deer, evidence of gender includes EITHER: the head with antlers int ...
  15. Can I buy a 2nd Deer Tag and use it for the general season to harvest a second deer?
    No. You cannot use the 2nd Deer Tag to increase your bag limit for general season hunts. The 2nd Deer Tag is for Second Deer Special Permit hunts. If drawn for a Second Deer Special Permit, you must buy a 2nd Deer Tag to participate in that hunt.
  16. Can I hunt big game or turkey if I do not draw a Special Permit?
    It depends. You can hunt deer, elk, bear, cougar or turkey without drawing a Special Permit. You can hunt the general season for any of these species by buying a general season license. However, hunting mountain goat, moose or bighorn sheep is different. These three species have no general seas ...
  17. Can I discharge a firearm or hunt anywhere in the state once I buy a hunting license?
    No. Most hunting seasons are restricted by area. To find an open hunting season, check one of our Hunting Pamphlets. Many portions of the state have No Shooting or Firearm Restriction Zones such as the Interstate 5 corridor in western Washington. Special rules also apply inside state parks, fed ...
  18. Can I use all Department of Natural Resources (DNR) roads?
    No. In many cases, DNR may have management easements across private land, as opposed to public easements. In this case, the right-of-way is not a publicly maintained road, but a private road. You cannot use these to access public land that lies beyond. Landowners can gate and post these to no t ...
  19. When can I exchange tags?
    You can exchange tags for a different area or a different weapon type by the following deadlines: For archery tag holders before September 1 For muzzleloader tag holders before September 20 For modern firearm tag holders before October 10 However, if you submitted hunt choices (except Points ...
  20. The bag limit for black bear states two during the license year. Does that mean I can harvest two black bears with one black bear license?
    No. You must purchase a second black bear license to harvest a second black bear during the license year. You may only harvest one black bear in eastern Washington during the license year.
(Page 1 of 3)      Prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next