Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife


View Questions by Category

There are no sub categories

Category » General Hunting Rules rss button

(Page 2 of 3)     Prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next

There were 43 questions found in this category:

  1. How do I get a Migratory Bird Harvest Card to hunt Band-tailed pigeon, Brant, Sea Duck, or Snow Goose? Will I need to do this year after year?
    To get a Migratory Bird Harvest Card for any of those four species, you need to purchase the Migratory Bird Authorization. However, first time requests need to start with the Migratory Bird Hunting Authorization Application at http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/permits/migratory/. You DO NOT need to re ...
  2. Can I use bait when I go out hunting?
    You cannot use bait to hunt black bear, but you can for all other big game such as deer or elk. You cannot use bait to hunt game birds, but you can for other small game species.
  3. If I harvested deer, elk, or moose from a state or province connected to chronic wasting disease (CWD), what do I do?
    Check the chronic wasting disease section of the Big Game pamphlet for full details. This section lists the rules for importing items to Washington from certain states and provinces to reduce the risk of transmitting CWD: Meat that has been de-boned in the state or province where it was harves ...
  4. How do I update my contact information?
    You can update your mailing address, phone number, or email in one of three ways: 1. Online at https://fishhunt.dfw.wa.gov/wa/license 2. At a License Vendor 3. Call WDFW Licensing at (360) 902-2464
  5. Can I hunt big game or turkey if I do not draw a Special Permit?
    You can hunt deer, elk, bear, cougar, or turkey without drawing a Special Permit. You can hunt the general season for any of these species by buying a general season license. However, hunting mountain goat, moose, or bighorn sheep is different. These three species have no general season. You ca ...
  6. Can I buy a 2nd Deer Tag and use it for the general season to harvest a second deer?
    You cannot use the 2nd Deer Tag to increase your bag limit for general season hunts. The 2nd Deer Tag is for Second Deer Special Permit hunts. If drawn for a Second Deer Special Permit, you must buy a 2nd Deer Tag to participate in that hunt.
  7. I heard about hunting unclassified wildlife. What do I need to purchase and what type of weapons can I use to hunt them?
    To hunt unclassified wildlife, you need a valid big game or small game license. You can hunt unclassified wildlife year round with no bag limit and with any weapon. For instance, you can legally hunt unclassified wildlife with an air rifle. Attached below is the Small Game, Furbearers, and Uncl ...
  8. Can I discharge a firearm or hunt anywhere in the state once I buy a hunting license?
    No. Most hunting seasons are restricted by area. To find an open hunting season, check one of our Hunting Pamphlets. Many portions of the state have No Shooting or Firearm Restriction Zones such as the Interstate 5 corridor in western Washington. Special rules also apply inside state parks, fed ...
  9. Can I use all Department of Natural Resources (DNR) roads?
    No. In many cases, DNR may have management easements across private land, as opposed to public easements. In this case, the right-of-way is not a publicly maintained road, but a private road. You cannot use these to access public land that lies beyond. Landowners can gate and post these to no t ...
  10. When can I exchange tags?
    You can exchange tags for a different area or a different weapon type by the following deadlines: For archery tag holders before September 1 For muzzleloader tag holders before September 20 For modern firearm tag holders before October 10 However, if you submitted hunt choices (except Points ...
  11. The bag limit for black bear states two during the license year. Does that mean I can harvest two black bears with one black bear license?
    No. You must purchase a second black bear license to harvest a second black bear during the license year. You may only harvest one black bear in eastern Washington during the license year.
  12. Do I need to pass the WDFW Canada Goose Identification Test if I plan to hunt them outside Management Area 2A or 2B?
    No. You do not need to take the test if hunting Canada Goose outside Management Area 2A or 2B.
  13. I have Migratory Bird Authorizations for several species. Can I just pick up harvest cards for the species I plan to hunt?
    Yes. You only need to pick up harvest cards for the species you plan to hunt. You must report on all the harvest cards you obtain that season, even if you did not hunt.
  14. I heard access to the area I hunt is closed, what can I do?
    To find out other access options, contact a WDFW Regional Office.
  15. Are there any circumstances when a landowner can legally set his/her own hunting seasons and regulations on private property in Washington?
    Generally the answer is no. The Fish and Wildlife Commission is responsible for setting all formal hunting seasons and regulations. WDFW has created several landowner programs that benefit landowners and hunters alike. The following examples are exceptions with special circumstances and limitat ...
  16. Is game farming legal in Washington?
    Game farms licensed on or before January 1, 1992 may continue to operate under the license—see RCW 77.12.570; WAC 232-12-027. After January 1, 1992, WDFW is licensing only game farming of game birds—see WAC 232-12-027. WDFW does license game farms to raise and sell game birds includi ...
  17. Does a designated harvester or hunter companion need to have a Washington license to harvest for or assist a disabled person in Washington?
    No. According to WAC 232-12-828(8), a designated hunter companion must have a valid hunting license from Washington or another state. The hunter companion or designated harvester must have their licenses with them. And the disabled person who is being assisted must have the appropriate Washingt ...
  18. Is it illegal to harvest mule deer or black-tailed deer crosses during the Westside general deer season for black-tailed deer?
    No, they are not illegal to harvest. The definition of black-tailed deer is that it occurs west of the Pacific Crest Trail and Klickitat River. However, it is illegal to harvest a white-tailed deer during the Westside general deer season since the Columbian white-tailed deer is federally protected.
  19. Can an individual legally harvest a cow moose and still apply for permit-controlled moose hunts in future years?
    Yes. An individual may harvest only one moose during his/her lifetime, EXCEPT that this restriction is waived for hunters who have harvested a moose in an antlerless-only moose hunt or won raffle or auction hunts for moose.
  20. What is the difference between the daily bag limit and the possession limit for game animals?
    For upland birds and waterfowl, the daily bag limit is the maximum number of birds that can be harvested in a single day. In some cases the bag limit can be an aggregate of species, but other times it is limited by species and sex. The appropriate Hunting Regulation Pamphlets should be consulte ...
(Page 2 of 3)     Prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next