- What happened to my special permit points when the system changed in 2010?
You did not lose your points. The new system applied your points to each new category. For example, if you had three deer points before the change, the new system applied three points to each new deer category.
- If my group's hunt choice has fewer permits left to award than the size of my group, what happens?
Your group would not draw that hunt. If one member cannot get the permit, then no one in the group will. If your group submitted more than one hunt choice, the system will consider those other choices. If your group does not draw a permit, each group member earns a point in that category for fu ...
- How do I build up special permit points?
You build up special permit points by buying applications each year. You earn one point for each special permit application you buy. You can buy one application for each category each year. For example, if you buy a Quality Deer, Buck Deer, and Antlerless Deer special permit, you earn one point ...
- What is the value of building special permit points?
Building special permit points gives applicants a better chance in the random drawings. Each special permit category has a separate drawing. The special permit drawing system is similar to pulling tickets out of a barrel. Building points gives an applicant more tickets. The system also squares ...
- How does the special permit drawing work? I heard you square points. Does that improve my drawing odds?
Each special permit category has a separate random drawing. Building special permit points gives applicants a better chance in these drawings. The special permit drawing system is similar to pulling tickets out of a barrel. Building points gives an applicant more tickets. The system also square ...
- I drew a special permit, but I misplaced or never received the special permit card. Do I need to get a replacement card?
You can get a replacement special permit card from any license vendor. You can find a list of license vendors on the WDFW website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/vendors/. You need to have your special permit card with you during your special permit hunt. If you need additional assistance, you ...
- Why does WDFW award special permits?
Two of the main reasons WDFW awards special permits are to control species population sizes and to provide special recreational opportunities for hunters.
- Can I transfer special permit points to a different category?
Special permit points cannot be transferred to different categories, even if it is the same species.
- If my group draws a special permit, which group members lose their points?
All group members would lose their points in that special permit category, including the group leader.
- Can I apply for both a group and individual special permit in the same license year? Can I do that on the same application?
You can apply with a group and on your own in the same license year, but not on the same application. For example, you can apply for Quality Deer with a group and apply for Buck Deer on your own in the same year. Keep in mind that you can only apply for each special permit category once per lic ...
- I drew more than one special permit and decided not to use one of them. Can I return it and have my points restored?
You cannot receive point restoration if you simply decide not to use a special permit you drew. Point restoration is only available under certain circumstances, such as a medical issue. To learn more about point restoration, you can contact the Wildlife Program online at email@example.com or ...
- How can I benefit from a Multiple Season tag?
With a Multiple Season tag, you benefit from more chances to hunt with a wider variety of legal weapons. You can hunt any open unit during all three general seasons. For elk hunters, this includes both western and eastern Washington general seasons. Without a Multiple Season tag, elk hunters wo ...
- Why would I apply with a group if it makes it tougher to draw a special permit?
You can benefit from applying for a group special permit in several ways. If you have people you hunt with every year, you can apply as a group and draw the permit together. If you have points built up in a specific special permit category, but your hunting partners only have a few points or ...
- When I check my drawing results online, why do I see "Points Used" even though I did not draw a special permit?
The term "Points Used" describes how many points your application entered with for that special permit drawing. Points do not go away or go back to zero unless you draw a permit. If you do not draw a permit, your points carry over for future drawings.
- How will WDFW spend the new revenue from special permits?
WDFW will use the new revenue to expand hunter access on private lands. The increase in access will lead to more hunting opportunities.
- Can I hunt big game or turkey if I do not draw a special permit?
You can hunt deer, elk, bear, cougar, or turkey without drawing a special permit. You can hunt the general season for any of these species by buying a general season license. Information on general seasons can be found in Washington's Big Game Hunting Seasons & Regulations pamphlet at http: ...
- Can I transfer my deer special permit points to elk?
You cannot transfer points from one species to another. You also cannot transfer points from one category to another, even for the same species. For example, you cannot transfer Antlerless Elk points to Quality Elk.
- If drawn for a Second Deer special permit, do I need to harvest my first deer before my second deer season begins?
You do not need to harvest a deer in the general season or during another deer special permit hunt before your Second Deer special permit season begins. If you harvest your first deer of the season during the Second Deer special permit hunt, you can still hunt an available general season or you ...
- Can I donate my special permit points to another hunter?
You cannot donate your points.
- Do I need to buy a hunting license to apply for a special permit?
You must buy the appropriate hunting license to apply for deer, elk, bear or turkey Special Permits. For example, to apply for a deer Special Permit, you must buy a license package that includes deer. To apply for a turkey Special Permit, you must buy a small game license. You do not need to bu ...