- Can I still use application cards for Special Permits?
No. In fact, we do not accept paper applications of any kind. You can buy Special Permits in three ways: Online at https://fishhunt.dfw.wa.gov At a License Vendor Call 1-866-246-9453 You can submit Special Permits in two ways: Online at https://fishhunt.dfw.wa.gov Call 1-877-945-3492
- Do I increase my odds if I apply for a special permit with a group instead of on my own?
Special permit group applications average category points for all group members. Group members with fewer points benefit, increasing their odds from the higher group average, while group members with a higher point total may be negatively impacted. For example, say you have a group of three su ...
- How can I build special permit points if I cannot hunt this year?
If you cannot hunt this year, use the Points Option hunt choice to build your special permit points. You cannot draw a permit when you submit Points Option. Instead, you earn one point for each category to improve your chance in future drawings. Check the Special Permit Application Instructions ...
- What happened to my special permit points when the system changed in 2010?
You did not lose your points. The new system applied your points to each new category. For example, if you had three deer points before the change, the new system applied three points to each new deer category.
- If my group's hunt choice has fewer permits left to award than the size of my group, what happens?
Your group would not draw that hunt. If one member cannot get the permit, then no one in the group will. If your group submitted more than one hunt choice, the system will consider those other choices. If your group does not draw a permit, each group member earns a point in that category for fu ...
- How do I build up special permit points?
You build up special permit points by buying applications each year. You earn one point for each special permit application you buy. You can buy one application for each category each year. For example, if you buy a Quality Deer, Buck Deer, and Antlerless Deer special permit, you earn one point ...
- What is the value of building special permit points?
Building special permit points gives applicants a better chance in the random drawings. Each special permit category has a separate drawing. The special permit drawing system is similar to pulling tickets out of a barrel. Building points gives an applicant more tickets. The system also squares ...
- How does the special permit drawing work? I heard you square points. Does that improve my drawing odds?
Each special permit category has a separate random drawing. Building special permit points gives applicants a better chance in these drawings. The special permit drawing system is similar to pulling tickets out of a barrel. Building points gives an applicant more tickets. The system also square ...
- Why does WDFW award special permits?
Two of the main reasons WDFW awards special permits are to control species population sizes and to provide special recreational opportunities for hunters.
- Can I transfer special permit points to a different category?
Special permit points cannot be transferred to different categories, even if it is the same species.
- How will WDFW spend the new revenue from special permits?
WDFW will use the new revenue to expand hunter access on private lands. The increase in access will lead to more hunting opportunities.
- Can I transfer my deer special permit points to elk?
You cannot transfer points from one species to another. You also cannot transfer points from one category to another, even for the same species. For example, you cannot transfer Antlerless Elk points to Quality Elk.
- Can I donate my special permit points to another hunter?
You cannot donate your points.
- Will I lose all my special permit points if I do not buy an application this year?
Points do not go away or back to zero unless you draw a special permit. They never expire, and points will not be lost if an applicant does not buy or apply each year. Please keep in mind that the only way to gain points is to apply for each category in which you want to build those points. You ...
- Do I build up one point for each hunt choice I select on my special permit application?
You earn one point for each application you buy. Whether you submit one hunt choice or four hunt choices, you still earn one point. You can buy one application for each category each year. If you draw a permit, your points in that category return to zero.
- Is there a maximum number of special permit points a person can hold in any category?
There is no maximum number of special permit points a person can hold in any category. Points will continue to build until an application for that category is drawn, in which case the points will go back to zero. You earn one point for each special permit application you buy. You can purchase on ...
- How do special permit hunt choices work?
The system starts with your first hunt choice and works down your list. If the system has no permits available for any of your hunt choices, your application earns a point and the system moves on to the next application. You get the option to apply for up to four hunt choices. You will have to ...
- Will the new Special Permit system still have partnerships?
The new system has groups instead of partnerships. A group consists of a Group Leader and Group Member(s). You do not have to apply as a group. You can still apply on your own. The maximum group size for each species category: 8 – Deer or Elk 2 – Bear 2 – Mountain Goat, Moose ...
- Why did WDFW change the Special Permit system?
We changed the Special Permit system in 2010 to meet several goals. Providing revenue to expand the Private Lands hunter access program was the main goal. Creating a system that offers more options for hunters was another goal. Lastly, hunters stated their dissatisfaction with the previous syst ...