Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife


View Questions by Category

There are no sub categories

Category » Social Security Number Collection rss button

There were 13 questions found in this category:

  1. Why do I have to give my Social Security Number (SSN)?
    A federal law, 42 USC Chapter 7, Subchapter IV, Part D, Sec. 666(a)(13), was enacted in 1996 to improve the effectiveness of child-support enforcement throughout the U.S. The law requires Social Security Numbers to be recorded for "any applicant for a professional license, driver's license, occu ...
  2. Can I refuse to disclose my Social Security Number (SSN)?
    No. Your SSN must be collected in order to complete a first-time application for a recreational license.
  3. Who has to provide their Social Security Number (SSN)?
    All applicants for recreational licenses, tags, and stamps must provide an SSN with the following exceptions: Children under 15 are not required to provide a SSN. Applicants who are not U.S. citizens and do not have a SSN are also exempt from the requirement. Others in special situations shoul ...
  4. When did the Social Security Number (SSN) collection requirement go into effect?
    Collecting SSNs from applicants for fishing and hunting licenses, tags, and permits began when the automated WILD licensing system went into operation March 1, 2001. The same requirement is in effect for persons choosing to buy recreational licenses by telephone, and will also be in effect for l ...
  5. Will my Social Security Number (SSN) be printed on my recreational license or be visible on the license sales terminal?
    No. Your SSN will only be entered the first time a license is purchased with the new computerized WILD license vending system. Your SSN is not printed on the license document. Your SSN is not displayed on the WILD computer screen after it is first entered.
  6. Do I have to provide my Social Security Number (SSN) if I buy my recreational license over the telephone or the Internet?
    Yes. If you choose to purchase recreational licenses using telephone or Internet licensing options, you will be required to enter your SSN as part of the first license transaction.
  7. What happens when a license purchase is blocked?
    A recreational license will not be issued. No information about why the license sale was blocked will appear on the WILD vending system computer screen, or otherwise be available to the license vendor. When a sale is blocked, dealers need to contact WDFW for additional information. WDFW licensin ...
  8. What happens if a parent pays his/her child support debt or makes a repayment agreement with DCS and then wants to buy a recreational license right away?
    It can take at least one full day for a license-suspension release to be sent to state licensing agencies such as WDFW and entered into the WILD system. So, if a parent's license-suspension release is sent late in the week, like – on a Thursday afternoon or a Friday – the parent migh ...
  9. How does my Social Security Number (SSN) help with child support compliance?
    Collecting SSNs is part of a nationwide effort to improve compliance with child support orders. If a parent owes at least six months of back child support and has not entered into an agreement to pay his/her child support, the Division of Child Support (DCS) will ask licensing agencies, includin ...
  10. Do I need to provide my Social Security Number (SSN) to renew my commercial fishing licenses?
    The commercial fishing license is an occupational license, and is subject to the same federal law requiring SSN collection for other licenses. WDFW has collected SSNs from all persons seeking to renew commercial fishing licenses since 1998. Commercial fishers will continue to be required to prov ...
  11. How do I know my Social Security Number (SSN) is secure?
    The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) takes its responsibility to safeguard personal information very seriously, and has taken several steps to ensure your SSN is secure. Your SSN will not be visible on the license document or on the WILD licensing system computer screen after it ...
  12. What if I have a question about my child-support records?
    The Department of Social and Health Services, Division of Child Support, is responsible for enforcing child support laws and maintaining records of parents who are in arrears on child support payments. If you have questions about your child support status, contact DSHS toll-free at 1-800-457-620 ...
  13. Do I have to show my Social Security card when I apply for a license?
    No. You are only required to state your Social Security Number. You are not required to show your Social Security card.