Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife


View Questions by Category

Category Icon Elk Hoof Disease

Category » Diseased Wildlife rss button

There were 4 questions found in this category:

  1. How can I report diseased wildlife that I observe?
    For diseased wildlife, contact the WDFW Wildlife Health Section of the Wildlife Program at (509) 892-1001 ext. 326. WDFW has re-established a hotline to report dead or ill swans in Whatcom, Skagit and Snohomish counties in order to monitor lead poisoning. Please call (360) 466-4345, ext. 266 t ...
  2. How do I get an animal tested for rabies?
    The decision of whether or not to test an animal for rabies is made by state and local public health authorities after consideration of the circumstances surrounding exposure to a potentially rabid animal. If you are bitten by an animal or believe that you may have been exposed to rabies, conta ...
  3. What is the status of hair loss syndrome in deer?
    Hair loss syndrome in black-tailed deer was first described in western Washington in 1995. The condition is caused by a heavy infestation of Eurasian louse in the genus Damalinia (Cervicola) sp. The normal hosts of this louse are European and Asian deer and antelope, which are not seriously aff ...
  4. If I harvested deer, elk, or moose from a state or province connected to chronic wasting disease (CWD), what do I do?
    If you hunt deer, elk, or moose in a state or province connected to chronic wasting disease (CWD), only the following items may be imported to Washington to reduce the risk of transmission: Meat that has been de-boned in the state or province where it was harvested and is imported as boned-out ...