Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife


Who do I call if I find a dead marine mammal on the beach?

Marine mammals are both federally and state protected. If you need to speak with someone immediately or to report a Marine Mammal Protection Act violation, call the National Marine Fisheries Service (NOAA Fisheries) Enforcement and Stranding Hotline at 1-800-853-1964.

To report a stranded or dead marine mammal to the Northwest Marine Mammal Stranding Network, contact the nearest stranding network responder. You will be asked to provide details on the species, condition, and location.

The possession of marine mammal bones, ivory, and other parts is strictly controlled. Any bones, teeth, or ivory of any dead marine mammal collected from a beach or nearby must be registered within 30 days with an agent of NOAA at (206) 526-6733. You can also go to NOAA's Marine Mammals website to locate the necessary registration materials under federal law (50 C.F.R. 216.26).

Related Questions


No attachments were found.

Question Details

Last Updated
29th of January, 2016