Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife


Do I need a water right to prospect or placer mine?

In some cases, yes. Removing water from state waters for any beneficial use, including highbanking and other mineral prospecting and placer mining activities that take water from the stream channel, requires a water right issued by Washington Department of Ecology (Ecology) before you start work. Dredging, sluicing, or panning within a stream when you do not remove water from the stream does not require a water right. For more information, contact Ecology or the Office of Regulatory Assistance at 1-800-917-0043 or ora.wa.gov.

Related Questions

No related questions were found.


No attachments were found.

Question Details

Last Updated
22nd of February, 2012

Would you like to...

Print this page  Print this page

Email this page  Email this page

Post a comment  Post a comment

 Subscribe me

Subscribe me  Add to favorites

Remove Highlighting Remove Highlighting

Edit this Question

Quick Edit

Export to PDF

User Opinions

No users have voted.

How would you rate this answer?

Thank you for rating this answer.