Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife


If I harvested deer, elk, or moose from a state or province connected to chronic wasting disease (CWD), what do I do?

If you hunt deer, elk, or moose in a state or province connected to chronic wasting disease (CWD), only the following items may be imported to Washington to reduce the risk of transmission:

  • Meat that has been de-boned in the state or province where it was harvested and is imported as boned-out meat.
  • Skulls and antlers, antlers attached to the skull plate, or upper canine teeth (bugler, whistlers, ivories) from which all soft tissue has been removed.
  • Hides or capes without heads attached.
  • Tissue imported for use by a diagnostic or research laboratory.
  • Finished taxidermy mounts.

In addition, you must notify the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife within 24 hours if notified by another state fish and wildlife agency that the deer, elk, or moose you harvested has tested positive for CWD. Violation of this rule is an infraction. (RCW 77.15.160) For more details on CWD, see WDFW's Chronic Wasting Disease website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/health/cwd/.

More information can be found in the chronic wasting disease section of Washington's Big Game Hunting Seasons & Regulations pamphlet. The pamphlet can be found on the WDFW website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/regulations/.

Related Questions


No attachments were found.

Question Details

Last Updated
3rd of February, 2016