WDFW LogoWashington Department of Fish & Wildlife
  HELP | EMPLOYMENT | NEWS | CONTACT  
WDFW LogoHunting
Report a Poacher or Other Violation

Non-emergency Dangerous Wildlife Complaints
1-877-933-9847

More information on
Dangerous Wildlife Complaints

For more information on
hunting, please contact the
WDFW Wildlife Program.
Phone: 360-902-2515
wildthing@dfw.wa.gov

Hunter’s Code of Conduct
The code emphasizes the need for hunters to show respect for wildlife and to be considerate of non-hunters.

 

 

 

 
Buy Your License Online! Buy Your License Online!


Shooting Range Grants

The goal of the new shooting range program is to promote recreational shooting in a safe and educational environment.
Shooting Range Grant Application [PDF]
(includes Policy and Procedures)

Shooting Range Grants Program
There will be no Shooting Range Grants offered in 2011. The program has been placed on hold until further notice. This is due to reductions in the amount of federal funds available. For 2011, the funds that were to be allotted for shooting range grants have been shifted to Hunter Education Program use.

The Department of Fish and Wildlife has limited federal aid monies available to assist nonprofit shooting ranges.

Available federal funds for the statewide shooting range development will vary between $50,000 to $100,000 per year. The shooting range program is a competitive grant and it requires local matching money. Successful grant applicants are paid on a reimbursement program. This means that grantees will first pay any costs associated with construction and materials and then later will be reimbursed for up to 75% of these costs. The remaining 25% must be provided by a local (not federal), cost-share match.

Federal funding for hunter education and shooting ranges is derived from one-half of the 11% federal excise tax on archery equipment and 10% federal excise tax on handguns, pistols and revolvers.

The agency's Shooting Range Program is separate from the range development program operated by the Recreation and Conservation Office (RCO). The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife uses federal funds for its program, and federal rules and regulations--in addition to state rules and regulations--are applied. Funding for the RCO program is derived from state revenues only and not all federal regulations apply.

Shooting Range Program funding is available ONLY to nonprofit shooting organizations, school districts and governments. Nonprofit organizations must be formally registered with Washington's Secretary of State.

Only shooting facilities which are open to the general public on a regular basis will be considered for funding. Requests for funding private or commercial shooting ranges will not be considered.