WDFW Online Sales and Services

Contact Licensing

Mailing Address
WDFW - Licensing Division
600 Capitol Way N.
Olympia, WA 98501-1091

Update on suction dredging, other activities affected by drought

WDFW has begun to rescind emergency restrictions on suction dredging, mechanical removal of aquatic plants, and fishing in rivers and streams affected by the summer drought. The department expects to repeal restrictions on additional waters as stream conditions improve. Rivers and streams where restrictions are still in effect are listed below.

A news release issued Sept. 2 describes the department’s recent action to rescind drought-related restrictions on certain rivers and streams.

Hydraulic Project Approval
The major types of activities in freshwater requiring an HPA include, but are not limited to: stream bank protection; construction or repair of bridges, piers, and docks; pile driving; channel change or realignment; conduit (pipeline) crossing; culvert installation; dredging; gravel removal; pond construction; placement of outfall structures; log, log jam, or debris removal; installation or maintenance of water diversions; and mineral prospecting. Major saltwater activities requiring an HPA include, but are not limited to: construction of bulkheads, fills, boat launches, piers, dry docks, artificial reefs, dock floats, and marinas; placement of utility lines; pile driving; and dredging. It is important to emphasize that the above are only examples of major types of activities requiring an HPA and that any construction activity or other work that uses, diverts, obstructs, or changes the natural flow or bed of state waters requires an HPA.

Gold and Fish: Rules for Mineral Prospecting and Placer Mining
The rules contained in this pamphlet were developed to protect fish and their habitats. This pamphlet serves as your Hydraulic Project Approval (HPA) for the types of mineral prospecting and mining activities described in it. You must follow the rules in the pamphlet when you conduct those projects in Washington. These rules do not relieve you from obtaining landowner permission and any other necessary permits before conducting any mineral prospecting activity. You must also follow the rules and regulations of local, federal, and other Washington state agencies.

Aquatic Plant Removal
Aquatic noxious weeds are introduced plants that now threaten our native vegetation, fish, wildlife and their habitat. In recognition of the importance of controlling aquatic noxious weeds, the Aquatic Plants and Fish Pamphlet was created by Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) to:

  • expedite the Hydraulic Project Approval (HPA) process for projects designed to control early infestations of aquatic noxious weeds,
  • expedite the HPA process for applicants who want to control aquatic beneficial plants using small scale projects only (e.g., around docks and in swimming areas).