WDFW Online Sales and Services

Contact Licensing

Mailing Address
WDFW - Licensing Division
600 Capitol Way N.
Olympia, WA 98501-1091

The contact information for permits has changed. Please see the bottom of the page.
arrow Application for permit to trap for animal problem
arrow Report Form for animals taken
arrow WCO Annual Report


Guidelines for completing an application for a permit to use traps for an animal problem

These procedures are to be followed in order to comply with the provisions of RCW 77.15.194 and WAC 232-12-142 for a special permit to abate an animal problem.

  • A person must submit a written application to WDFW to request the use of a Conibear trap in water, a padded foothold trap, or a non-strangling type foot snare to alleviate an animal problem.
  • The applicant must establish that there exists on a property an animal problem that has not been and cannot be reasonable abated by the use of non-lethal control tools, including but not limited to guard animals, electric fencing, or box and cage traps, or such non-lethal means cannot be reasonable be applied.

WDFW must make a finding in writing that the animal problem has not been and cannot be reasonably abated by non-lethal control tools or the tools cannot be reasonably applied before the Director may authorize the use, setting, placing, or maintenance of the traps for removal of nuisance wildlife animal(s).

These special permits are designed to allow the trapping and removal of nuisance animals in a period not to exceed thirty days. Please consider the appropriate number of animals requested to remove when submitting an application. WDFW Law Enforcement Department will be tracking and inspecting permit locations for compliance of non-lethal measures and proper use of traps. Use of the taps listed under this section preclude the user from offering to sell, barter, or otherwise exchange the raw fur or carcass of a mammal that has been trapped pursuant to a permit and must ensure proper disposal in a lawful manner.


Applicant Information: The land or property owner, manager, tenant, or occupant; or the person who will be requested to do the trapping.

Location of Animal Problem:Please provide the county. Where does the animal problem exist?  Entries must be an address or Global Positioning (GPS) in decimal degrees (e.g. 47.03788, -122.89838). GPS can be obtained from Google maps, etc… It is assumed that trapping will be done within ¼ mile radius of the GPS location provided. Attach addition pages as necessary.

Description of Animal Problem: Include the type of problem an animal is creating, damage being done, extent of damage, how long it has been occurring, why it is necessary to trap the animal(s), etc.

Species: Common name of animal you wish to trap.

Number of Animals to be Removed in a 30 day period: Estimate if exact number is not known.

Nonlethal Methods Used: Check the box(s) that apply. Other would be checked if you attempted anything other than one of the listed methods. Provide an explanation of this method.

Results/Justification: Check the appropriate box – Ineffective (Non-lethal methods used did not alleviate the animal problem; Not applicable (Non-lethal means could not be reasonably applied). Explain why the means could not be reasonably applied.

Method Requested: These are the only types of traps allowed under RCW 77.15.194, which may be authorized under a permit. (Select one or more)

Who Will do the Trapping: This is the person whose name and address shall be on the identification attached to the traps being used.

APPLICANT CERTIFICATION: To be completed and signed by applicant.

APPROVAL: To be signed by WDFW staff.

EMAIL TO: specialtrapping@dfw.wa.gov

FAX: Wildlife Program FAX (360) 902-2162


Department of Fish and Wildlife
Wildlife Conflict Program
600 Capitol Way North
Olympia, WA. 98501-1091