600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
Archived documents do not reflect current WDFW regulations or policy and may contain factual inaccuracies.
April 14, 2009
Contact: Mark O’Toole, (360) 466-4345 ext. 241
2009 Puget Sound shrimp season to open May 2
OLYMPIA – This year’s recreational shrimp fishery in Puget Sound will open May 2 under seasons announced by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW).
Fishing areas and schedules:
- Marine Areas 4 (east of the Bonilla Line), 5, 6 (excluding the Discovery Bay Shrimp District) and 13 will open May 2 at 7 a.m. and will be open daily until the quota is reached, or through Sept. 15, whichever comes first.
- Marine Area 7 will open May 2 at 7 a.m. and will be open Wednesdays through Saturdays only until the quota is reached.
- Marine Areas 8, 9, and 10, will be open from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturdays and Wednesdays only, starting May 2. They will remain open until quotas for those areas are reached, or until May 31, whichever comes first.
- Marine Area 11, extending from the northern tip of Vashon Island to the Tacoma Narrows Bridge, will be open from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Saturday, May 2 only.
- Hood Canal (Marine Area 12) will be open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on May 2, 6, 9 and 13, or until the quota is reached, whichever comes first. Additional dates and times may be announced if sufficient quota remains.
The Discovery Bay Shrimp District in Marine Area 6 near Port Townsend will remain closed to both spot and non-spot shrimp fishing this year.
More information on shrimp seasons and rules is available on the WDFW shellfish hotline at 1-866-880-5431, or online at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/shelfish/shrimpreg.