600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
Archived documents do not reflect current WDFW regulations or policy and may contain factual inaccuracies.
December 20, 2012
Contact: Dan Ayres, (360) 249-1209
End the year digging razor clams;
check out tentative dates in 2013
OLYMPIA – State fishery managers have approved an end-of-the-year razor clam dig over four evenings, leading up to and including New Year’s Eve.
They also announced a tentative schedule for additional digs in 2013, subject to prior testing for marine toxins. Information about both confirmed and tentative digs are available at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/shellfish/razorclams/current.html.
The upcoming dig will begin Dec. 28 after noon at Twin Harbors and expand to include three other ocean beaches through Dec. 31.
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) confirmed the dig after marine toxin tests at all four beaches confirmed the clams are safe to eat. No digging will be allowed at any of those beaches until after noon.
“Razor clam digging on New Year’s Eve has become a tradition for many Washingtonians,” said Dan Ayres, WDFW coastal shellfish manager. “The tides aren’t conducive to a holiday dig every year, but they’re with us this year.”
In past years, as many as 20,000 people have descended on ocean beaches to dig razor clams on New Year’s Eve, Ayres said.
The following beaches will be open for digging on the following schedule and evening low tides:
- Dec. 28, Friday, 6:42 p.m., -0.3 ft., Twin Harbors
- Dec. 29, Saturday, 7:15 p.m., -0.3 ft., Twin Harbors, Long Beach, Mocrocks
- Dec. 30, Sunday, 7:47 p.m., -0.2 ft., Twin Harbors, Long Beach, Mocrocks, Copalis,
- Dec. 31, Monday, 8:20 p.m., 0.0 ft., Twin Harbors, Long Beach, Mocrocks, Copalis
Ayres noted that the best digging occurs one to two hours prior to low tide.
Clam diggers are limited to 15 razor clams per day, and are required to keep the first 15 clams they dig. Each digger's clams must be kept in a separate container.
All diggers age 15 or older must have an applicable 2012-13 fishing license to harvest razor clams on any beach. Licenses, ranging from a three-day razor clam license to an annual combination fishing license, are available on WDFW’s website at https://fishhunt.dfw.wa.gov and from license vendors around the state.
Razor clam digs tentatively scheduled through February 2013 are:
- Jan. 8, Tuesday, 3:44 p.m., -0.2 ft., Twin Harbors
- Jan. 9, Wednesday, 4:38 p.m., -0.9 ft., Twin Harbors
- Jan. 10, Thursday, 5:27 p.m., -1.3 ft., Twin Harbors, Long Beach, Copalis,
- Jan. 11, Friday, 6:14 p.m., -1.6 ft., Twin Harbors, Long Beach, Copalis, Mocrocks
- Jan. 12, Saturday, 6:58 p.m., -1.5 ft., Twin Harbors, Long Beach, Copalis, Mocrocks
- Jan. 13, Sunday, 7:41 p.m., -1.2 ft., Twin Harbors
- Jan. 14, Monday, 8:22 p.m., -0.6 ft., Twin Harbors
- Jan. 25, Friday, 5:44 p.m., +0.0 ft., Long Beach, Twin Harbors
- Jan. 26, Saturday, 6:18 p.m., -0.2 ft., Long Beach, Twin Harbors, Copalis, Mocrocks
- Jan. 27, Sunday, 6:50 p.m., -0.2 ft., Long Beach, Twin Harbors
- Feb. 7, Thursday, 4:22 p.m., -0.5 ft., Twin Harbors
- Feb. 8, Friday, 5:11 p.m., -0.9 ft., Twin Harbors, Long Beach, Copalis, Mocrocks
- Feb. 9, Saturday, 5:56 p.m., -1.0 ft., Twin Harbors, Long Beach, Copalis, Mocrocks
- Feb. 10, Sunday, 6:37 p.m., -0.9 ft., Twin Harbors, Long Beach
- Feb. 11, Monday, 7:17 p.m., -0.5 ft., Twin Harbors
- Feb. 12, Tuesday, 7:54 p.m., 0.0 ft., Twin Harbors
- Feb. 23, Saturday, 5:12 p.m., +0.3 ft., Long Beach, Twin Harbors
- Feb. 24, Sunday, 5:47 p.m., +0.1 ft., Long Beach, Twin Harbors