600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
July 27, 2006
Contact: Lt. Richard Mann, (360) 902-2923
Classes teach citizens how to help prevent poaching
OLYMPIA – Free classes will be held in August at seven locations throughout the state for citizens who want to help prevent poaching of the state’s fish and wildlife.
The two-hour training sessions – scheduled in Puyallup, Aberdeen, Kennewick, Kettle Falls, Seattle, Spokane and Fife – are jointly sponsored by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW), the Eyes in the Woods Association and other outdoor organizations and sporting goods stores.
The classes are part of a series of Crime Observation and Reporting Training (CORT) sessions scheduled this year to train and certify citizens as non-confrontational witnesses in fish and wildlife enforcement efforts.
“Our goal is to create a network of citizens trained in identifying, documenting and reporting crimes against our natural resources,” said Lt. Richard Mann of WDFW’s enforcement program. “While no one but a certified law-enforcement officer should ever approach a suspect, we do often rely on citizens’ help in making a case.”
All seven meetings are scheduled from 7-9 p.m. on the following dates:
- Puyallup: Aug. 2 at 16409 Canyon Rd. E. in Puyallup. The local sponsor is the Tacoma Sportsman’s Club. To sign up for the class, contact Amanda Knoop at 253-537-6151 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Aberdeen: Aug. 3 at 2728 Simpson St. in Aberdeen. Hosted by the Citizen’s for Washington Wildlife. To sign up for the class, contact Chuck Witt at 360-470-3578 or email@example.com
- Kennewick: Aug. 9 at 2721 W 10th St. in Kennewick. The local sponsor is the Colyak Bowhunters. To sign up for the class, contact Jodi Wheeler at 509-783-1228 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kettle Falls: Aug. 15 at KC’s Family Diner, Highway 395 in Kettle Falls. The class is hosted by Mt. Jacobs Outfitters. To sign up for the class, contact Kelly White at 509-738-4790
- Seattle: Aug. 17 at 1701 4th Ave. S. in Seattle. Sponsored by Outdoor Emporium. To sign up for the class, contact Dave Elliott at 206-624-6550 or email@example.com
- Spokane: Aug. 23 at 6116 N. Market St. in Spokane. Hosted by the Inland Northwest Wildlife Council. To sign up for the class, contact Lloran Johnson at 509-487-8552 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fife: Aug. 24 at 4602 20th St. E. in Fife. The class is hosted by SPORTCO Sporting Goods. To sign up for the class, contact John Dahll at 253-922-2222 or email@example.com
For a list of other CORT training sessions, see the center insert of WDFW’s 2006 Big Game Hunting Seasons and Rules guide (http://wdfw.wa.gov/wlm/game/hunter/hunter.htm).