600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091
June 17, 2008
Contact: Paul Cereghino, (360) 902-2603
Tim Smith, (360) 902-2223
Grant workshops scheduled for nearshore
restoration project sponsors
OLYMPIA – A series of six workshops will be held this month and next for individuals and organizations interested in sponsoring nearshore habitat restoration and preservation projects in the Puget Sound area.
The workshops, hosted by the Puget Sound Nearshore Partnership (http://www.pugetsoundnearshore.org) and the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW), will be held at various sites throughout the region.
The workshops are designed to provide potential project sponsors with up-to-date information and guidance on nearshore restoration and familiarize them with the state's Estuary and Salmon Restoration Program (ESRP), established by the Legislature in 2006 as part of Gov. Chris Gregoire's Puget Sound Initiative.
WDFW, which manages the program, distributed $7.4 million in competitive awards to ESRP projects last year.
"These meetings are a great opportunity for people interested in sponsoring a project to find out more about the program and make sure they have the information and tools needed to develop successful proposals," said Paul Cereghino, ESRP program manager.
Workshop topics include the grant-award timetable, project-selection criteria, reports on 2007 ESRP projects and an update on the General Investigation Study for the Puget Sound Nearshore Ecosystem Restoration Project. Facilitators will be available to answer questions following the workshops.
The meetings are scheduled for the following locations:
- Anacortes – June 23, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., Anacortes Public Library, 1220 10th St.
- Tukwila – June 25, 11 a.m.-2:30 p.m., Tukwila Community Center, 12424 42nd Ave. S.
- Everett – June 30, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., Everett Public Library, 2702 Hoyt Ave.
- Olympia – July 8, 9 a.m.-noon, Thurston Regional Planning Council, 2424 Heritage Ct.
- Port Angeles – July 14, 10 a.m.-1 p.m., Port Angeles Library, 2210 South Peabody St.
- Silverdale – July 15, 12:30-3:30 p.m., Silverdale Community Center, 9721 Silverdale Way NW.
To reserve a space, send an email that includes the workshop location in the subject line to ESRP@dfw.wa.gov.