600 Capitol Way North, Olympia, WA 98501-1091

This document is provided for archival purposes only.
Archived documents do not reflect current WDFW regulations or policy and may contain factual inaccuracies.
  Digg it!  StumbleUpon  Reddit

December 30, 1998
Contact: Margaret Ainscough, (360) 902-2408

New Year brings new license requirements

OLYMPIA— Washington hunters and fishers are reminded that the New Year brings new recreational license requirements—an interim fishing/hunting license is required for fishing and hunting during the first three months of 1999.

The one-time, three-month license, good for hunting and fishing activity from Jan. 1 through March 31, sells for $6 for residents and $30 for non-residents. (Waterfowl hunters may use 1998 licenses through Jan. 31, 1999. Elk permit hunters with valid 1998 permits for areas open in January 1999 may use their 1998 license.)

The interim licenses are available at Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) regional offices and headquarters, as well as many license dealerships across the state.

The interim license is necessary because the Department of Fish and Wildlife is shifting from calendar-year licenses to an April through March licensing cycle to better coincide with fishing and hunting seasons.

Other license changes are coming as of April 1. Fishing and hunting licenses will be streamlined into packages offering cost savings to most buyers. For example, residents who fish in freshwater for steelhead, trout and bass will buy a $20 license that includes the basic fishing license (now $17), the steelhead fee (now $18) and the warmwater game fish fee (now $5). Details about the new license packages are available at WDFW offices statewide and are posted on the Department's Website.

Fishers and hunters who purchase new licenses April 1 also will receive a free "access stewardship decal," which is required to use WDFW water access sites and wildlife areas; the decal will cost $10 for those using the areas for other recreational activities without purchase of a hunting or fishing license.

Click here for more information on the new 1999 license packages.