February 01, 2007
Contact: Theresa Mitchell, (360) 902-2658
Curtis Tanner, (360) 902-2815
Grant workshops scheduled for nearshore
restoration project sponsors
OLYMPIA - A series of six workshops will be held this month for individuals and organizations interested in sponsoring nearshore habitat restoration and preservation projects in the Puget Sound area.
The workshops, hosted by the Puget Sound Nearshore Partnership (see: http://www.pugetsoundnearshore.org) and the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW), will be held Feb. 14-28 at various sites throughout the region.
The workshops are designed to provide potential project sponsors with up-to-date information and guidance on nearshore restoration and familiarize them with the state's Estuary and Salmon Restoration Program (ESRP), established by the Legislature in 2006 as part of Gov. Chris Gregoire's Puget Sound Initiative.
WDFW, which manages the program, awarded $2.5 million to ESRP projects last year, and Gov. Gregoire has proposed $7.5 million for additional grants in 2007-09. Final funding amounts will be determined by the Legislature.
"A great deal of new information has come to light on the science of nearshore restoration and preservation in recent years," said Curtis Tanner, WDFW restoration project manager. "We want to make sure those interested in sponsoring a project have the information and tools they need to develop successful proposals."
Workshop topics include the grant-award timetable, project-selection criteria, reports on 2006 ESRP projects and an update on the General Investigation Study for the Puget Sound Nearshore Ecosystem Restoration Project. Facilitators will be available to answer questions following the workshops.
The meetings are scheduled from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the following locations:
- Belfair - Feb. 14, Evergreen Room, Theler Wetland Center, 22871 NE State Route 3.
- Olympia - Feb. 16, Room 172, Natural Resources Building, 1111 Washington St. SE.
- Friday Harbor - Feb. 20, Community Room, Islander's Bank Administrative Offices, 545 Park St.
- Seattle - Feb. 23, Galaxy Room, U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, 4735 E. Marginal Way S. (Please bring photo ID to access facility.)
- Port Townsend - Feb. 27, Seminar Room, Fort Worden State Park Conference Center, 200 Battery Way.
- Mount Vernon - Feb. 28, Padilla Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve Meeting Room, 10441 Bayview-Edison Road.
A preliminary agenda for the workshops is posted on the WDFW website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/do/newreal/feb0107a_agenda.htm . To reserve space at a workshop location, send an email to ESRP@dfw.wa.gov .