July 29, 2002
Contact: Donny Martorello, (360) 902-2521
Public meetings scheduled on draft impact statement for game plan
OLYMPIA – Six public meetings will be held throughout the state in August to gather comment on a draft environmental impact statement (DEIS) recently issued for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife's (WDFW) proposed six-year game management plan.
The plan is being developed to define management direction for the state's game species including deer, elk, migratory and upland birds, cougar, moose, mountain goat, bighorn sheep, black bear, furbearing animals and unclassified game animals. The 2003 to 2009 plan calls for managing game populations for sustainable harvest and a variety of recreational, educational and aesthetic purposes while ensuring healthy and productive populations.
The DEIS, which identifies key issues associated with the management plan, may be obtained in WDFW offices or viewed at http://wdfw.wa.gov/hab/sepa/sepa.htm on the Internet.
The schedule of public meetings, all of which run from 7 to 9 p.m., is:
- Aug. 13– Yakima Valley Regional Library, 102 North 3rd St., Yakima.
- Aug. 14– Student Union Building #17- Lounge A & B , Spokane Falls Community College, 3410 Ft. George Wright Drive, Spokane.
- Aug. 15– Moses Lake Fire Hall, 701 East Third Ave., Moses Lake.
- Aug. 20– WDFW Mill Creek Regional Office, 16018 Mill Creek Boulevard, Mill Creek.
- Aug. 21– WDFW Vancouver Regional Office, 2108 Grand Blvd., Vancouver.
- Aug. 22– Building 200, Room 220, Grays Harbor Community College, 1620 Edward P. Smith Drive, Aberdeen.
In addition to the meetings, written comment on the DEIS is being taken until 5 p.m., Aug. 26. Written comments should be mailed to:
Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife
600 Capitol Way North
Olympia WA 98501-1091