June 04, 2014
Contact: Chris Donley, 509-892-1001 Ext. 307
Bigger trout await anglers
for Father's Day weekend
OLYMPIA - Fish hatchery crews will be stocking 10,000 one-and-a half pound triploid rainbow trout in 20 lakes just before Father's Day weekend, June 14-15.
"This is the third straight year we've stocked triploid trout before Father's Day," said Chris Donley, inland fish program manager for the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW). "A fishing license is a great Father's Day gift and catching these big fish will make for some wonderful memories."
"Young people and fishing go together," adds Donley. "Whether or not you can take your father, and whether or not you have a kid of your own, this Father's Day weekend is a terrific time to catch a memory - and a huge trout."
Fishing licenses can be purchased online at https://fishhunt.dfw.wa.gov; by telephone at 1-866-246-9453; or at hundreds of license dealers across the state. For details on license vendor locations, visit WDFW's website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/vendors/.
All of the lakes that will be stocked with 15 to 17 inch triploids before Father's Day have good shore and boat access. More details on fishing locations are available at the Fish Washington website: http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/washington/.
The lakes by region and county, and the number of triploids that will be stocked, are as follows:
North Puget Sound Region:
- King County: Green Lake, 1,500
- Snohomish County: Blackmans Lake, 250; Gissburg Ponds (aka Twin Lakes), 250
- Skagit County: Campbell Lake, 250
- Whatcom County: Padden Lake, 250
Coastal/Olympic Peninsula Region:
- Grays Harbor County: Vance Creek (Elma) Pond #2, 100
- Jefferson County: Sandy Shore Lake, 150
- Mason County: Mason Lake, 500
- Pierce County: American Lake, 1,500
- Thurston County: Clear Lake, 250; Hicks Lake, 250
- Clark County: Horseshoe Lake, 250
- Kittitas County: Cooper Lake, 250
- Yakima County: Clear Lake, 500
- Grant County: Park Lake, 400
- Okanogan County: Alta Lake, 350; Conconully Reservoir, 750
- Spokane County: West Medical Lake, 1,250; Williams Lake, 400
- Pend Oreille County: Diamond Lake, 600
Hundreds of other Washington lakes have been stocked with millions of trout over the past year. Fish stocking details, by county and lake, are available in the annual stocking plan on WDFW's website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/fishing/plants/statewide/.