November 09, 1998
Contact: Jeff Weathersby, (360) 902-2256 or Margaret Ainscough, (360) 902-2408
Sando declines WDFW post
OLYMPIA--Rodney Sando, the candidate selected by the Washington Fish and
Wildlife Commission to be the next director of the Department of Fish and Wildlife, has
declined to accept the post for family reasons.
Commission members will confer in executive session by conference call
tomorrow to decide how to proceed in filling the director vacancy, said Commissioner
Will Roehl, who is heading the commission's director-search committee.
"I'm extremely disappointed that Mr. Sando declined the offer, but we can waste
no time in moving forward to fill this position," Roehl said.
Sando, who for the past eight years has headed the Minnesota Department of
Natural Resources, last week was selected by the commission from among four
finalists. The commission originally interviewed 12 candidates, from among 36
applicants, for the post. The $96,468-per-year director's position was left vacant when
Bern Shanks resigned the post last summer.
Sando, a lifelong Minnesota resident, called Roehl today to decline the offer after
conferring with his family about the possible move over the weekend.
"He said he was honored to get the offer and was serious about the job but
family comes first," Roehl said.