September 30, 1997
Contact: Jeff Weathersby, (360) 902-2256
Mitchell Act clarification
OLYMPIA -- The first Washington fish hatchery constructed with federal
Mitchell Act funds was built in 1949.
A Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife news release issued today
reporting the possible closure of three WDFW hatcheries in October stated the
Mitchell Act was passed in 1949.
Congress passed the law in 1938 and amended it in 1946.
WDFW's Klickitat Hatchery near Goldendale was built in 1949 with Mitchell Act