Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife


View Questions by Category

There are no sub categories

Category » Transfer/Transport of Harvested Game, Fish or Processed Meat rss button

There were 6 questions found in this category:

  1. Where does my deer/elk tag stay if half my meat is taken to a butcher for processing and the other half remains at my home?
    The meat cutter will require that your tag stay at the butcher shop, so make sure you get it back when you pick up your processed meat so you can attach it to the side of your freezer. It is recommended that you make a photocopy of your tag to keep with the other half of your carcass (meat) unt ...
  2. Do the requirements for "Transporting Game or Portions of Meat Taken by Somebody Else" apply to processed fish and game meat that is given away?
    Yes. A good thing to do is to prepare a generic written transport/transfer slip and leave the portion blank for the person receiving the game or fish meat/product. Then, when you give some of the processed fish or game away as gifts, you can make duplicates of the generic form and fill in the d ...
  3. How long can I legally keep my game meat or fish in my freezer?
    There is no time limit, but you should always tape to your freezer the tag and a photocopy of your catch record card representing the game and fish stored within. This applies to processed fish and game meat (steaks, hamburger, pepperoni, sausage, smoked fish, frozen razor clams, etc.) as well. ...
  4. If I remove the head from my legal bull elk or buck deer, but I leave the antlers attached, does this meet "evidence of sex" requirements in Washington?
    No. It is illegal to possess or transport big game animals unless evidence of the animal’s gender is left naturally attached to the carcass until the carcass is processed or stored for consumption. For a bull elk and buck deer, evidence of gender includes EITHER: the head with antlers int ...
  5. If I harvested deer, elk, or moose from a state or province connected to chronic wasting disease (CWD), what do I do?
    If you hunt deer, elk, or moose in a state or province connected to chronic wasting disease (CWD), only the following items may be imported to Washington to reduce the risk of transmission: Meat that has been de-boned in the state or province where it was harvested and is imported as boned-out ...
  6. Can I clean my waterfowl and upland birds before I take them back to my residence?
    Waterfowl and upland birds can be cleaned before you take them back to your residence, but the feathered heads of all game birds, as evidence of species, must be attached to the carcass when they are in your possession in the field or are being transported.