Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife


View Questions by Category

There are no sub categories

Category » Wildlife Found Dead and Game Salvage rss button

There were 11 questions found in this category:

  1. Who do I call if I see a dead animal on the road, and the carcass appears to be a danger to traffic?
    If it is a state highway, you will want to contact the Washington State Patrol or Washington Department of Transportation to have the carcass removed. If it is a county or city road, you will want to contact the local county or city public works department.
  2. Who do I call if I find a dead marine mammal on the beach?
    Marine mammals are both federally and state protected. If you need to speak with someone immediately or to report a Marine Mammal Protection Act violation, call the National Marine Fisheries Service (NOAA Fisheries) Enforcement and Stranding Hotline at 1-800-853-1964. To report a stranded or d ...
  3. How can I report dead or dying swans that may have been affected by lead poisoning?
    WDFW has re-established a hotline to report dead or ill swans in Whatcom, Skagit and Snohomish counties in order to monitor lead poisoning. Please call (360) 466-4345, extension 266 to make a report.
  4. How do I have a dead animal removed from my personal property?
    In most instances, dead wildlife on personal property falls under the responsibility of the property owner. There are several options available to property owners when it comes to disposing of dead wildlife on their property: Burying the carcass Disposing of the animal carcass in a dumpster or ...
  5. Can I legally use a Big Game tag on a deer or elk for road salvage during an open season?
    Big game licenses and tags cannot be used in lieu of a salvage permit for deer or elk killed in a motor vehicle collision.
  6. What information is required for the game salvage permit?
    You can apply for a salvage permit on the WDFW website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/licensing/game_salvaging/application.html. The salvage permit requires your name, phone number, email address (so the permit can be sent to you), physical address, city, state, and zip code. You will need to provide th ...
  7. Why can't I salvage a deer carcass in Clark, Cowlitz, or Wahkiakum counties?
    Deer killed by motor vehicle in Clark, Cowlitz, or Wahkiakum counties cannot be salvaged due to federal laws prohibiting the handling of endangered Columbian white-tailed deer in southwest Washington.
  8. If I salvage one carcass, does that prevent me from salvaging another carcass in the future?
    An individual is allowed to salvage more than one carcass, but a separate salvage permit must be printed out for each one.
  9. Why was the game salvage rule created?
    An average of 2,994 deer and 83 elk died in vehicle collisions on state highways each year from 2000-2004, according to a study of accident data completed by WDFW in 2008. The rule was created to address the issue of wasted meat and also help pinpoint road-kill "hotspots," which will support on ...
  10. Can I retrieve a carcass from private property?
    The salvage rule does not authorize trespassing on private property. All highway/road safety rules must be obeyed. You cannot block traffic or cause unsafe driving conditions while salvaging an animal.
  11. What is the new game salvage rule?
    The new rule allows people to legally salvage deer and elk carcasses in the state, except for any deer killed by a motor vehicle collision in Clark, Cowlitz, and Wahkiakum counties. Nearly 20 states have adopted similar rules. The rule is codified in WAC 232-12-287 - Possession of dead wildlife ...