Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife


If I'm fishing for personal use in the Columbia River, what licenses do I need?

  • Where the river coincides with the boundary between Washington and Oregon, the license of either state is valid. Anglers must comply with the laws of the state in which they are fishing. An angler licensed only in Oregon may not fish on the Washington shore or in Washington sloughs or tributaries, except Camas Slough where the license of either state is valid from a floating device. An angler fishing the Columbia River is restricted to one daily limit even if licensed by both states. Anglers may fish with either a saltwater, freshwater, or combination license in the waters of the Columbia River between a line from Rocky Point, on the Washington shore, to Tongue Point, on the Oregon shore, and the Buoy 10 line.
  • All anglers 15 or older fishing for salmon or steelhead on the Columbia River or its tributaries must have a Columbia River Salmon and Steelhead Endorsement on their license. Check stream listings in special rules identified with Col. R. Salmon/Steelhead Endorsement. See WDFW's Columbia River Salmon & Steelhead Endorsement website for maps and more information. Not required on Free Fishing Weekend.
  • If you fish from shore you need the fishing license from the state on whose shore you are fishing from, no matter which state you may have launched your boat from --see WAC 220-55-210.
  • Licenses and endorsements may be purchased online, by telephone at 1-866-246-9453 or at an authorized license vendor.

Related Questions


No attachments were found.

Question Details

Last Updated
9th of July, 2012