Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife


What do I do if I find injured wildlife?

Injured wildlife can be reported to a local wildlife rehabilitator. For a list of active wildlife rehabilitators by county, see WDFW's Living with Wildlife webpages at http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/health/rehabilitation/.

All native wild birds, mammals, reptiles, and amphibians are protected by Washington Administrative Code (WAC) and the Revised Code of Washington (RCW). Anyone wishing to possess injured native wildlife and/or practice wildlife rehabilitation must obtain a permit from WDFW. A wildlife rehabilitator permit authorizes a person to temporarily possess injured, diseased, oiled, or abandoned wildlife for the purpose of wild release. Individuals must meet several requirements to obtain this permit. See WDFW's webpage at http://wdfw.wa.gov/conservation/health/rehabilitation/how_to_become.html for more information on how to become a wildlife rehabilitator.

Those who work with native migratory birds must also have a US Fish and Wildlife Service migratory bird rehabilitation permit.

Seriously wounded wildlife can be reported to WDFW WILDCOMM at (360) 902-2936. Ask that the observation be reported to a local Fish and Wildlife Officer.

Another option upon finding injured wildlife is to contact a WDFW regional office or the Wildlife Program at (360) 902-2515. Regional office contact information can be found on the WDFW website at http://wdfw.wa.gov/about/regions/.

Related Questions


No attachments were found.

Question Details

Last Updated
29th of January, 2016