Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife


How can I become a licensed Wildlife Control Operator (WCO)?

The WDFW Wildlife Control Operator web page, located at http://wdfw.wa.gov/living/nuisance/how_to_become_wco.html, has updates on upcoming WCO training opportunities.

WDFW tries to alternate eastside and westside WCO certification, but depending on demand that may not be the case every time. Those people desiring to complete the certification course in order to become a WCO can e-mail a request to specialtrapping@dfw.wa.gov in order to be placed on the notification list for the next available training class.

WCOs provide direct assistance to landowners who are willing to pay for the cost of certified individuals to resolve their wildlife problems.  Under the authority of their permit from WDFW, WCOs are able to use specified types of traps to capture and dispose of certain wildlife year-round. It is unlawful to trap nuisance wildlife on the property of another for a fee or other consideration without a permit (WAC 232-36-065). For more information, see WDFW's Hiring a Wildlife Damage Control Company fact sheet at http://wdfw.wa.gov/living/nuisance/damage_control.html.

Related Questions


No attachments were found.

Question Details

Last Updated
7th of January, 2016