Washington State Department of Fish and Wildlife
Master Hunter Section
600 Capitol Way North
Olympia, WA 98501-1091
WDFW – Wildlife Program
Natural Resources Building
1111 Washington Street SE
Olympia, WA 9850
Advance scheduling is required for all Master Hunter exams. The written exam is not available online. Timed tests are administered at the locations below.
The passing score on the written exam is 80% -- meaning a “B” or higher.
Instructions for Persons Taking the Test
- You make and confirm arrangements with the test proctor well in advance.
- You must present photo ID upon arrival at the test site (driver’s license, student ID, or equivalent).
- You may not bring any electronic device, especially cell phones, into the test room.
- You may not bring any notes, pamphlets, or other study materials into the test room.
- You must bring pencils and erasers.
- You must bring or know your WILD Hunting/Fishing License ID number to record on the test answer sheet.
- The test will be strictly timed at 70 minutes.
- Persons who are not successful in passing the test may retake the test after a 7-day waiting period.
- If the test must be read to you, it is your responsibility to make advance arrangements with the test proctor.
- Persons caught cheating on the test will be excluded from the Master Hunter Permit Program for life.
- Master Hunter Program: Testing Policy
Master Hunter tests will be proctored in the Tri-Cities area at the Tri Cities Shooting Association (TCSA) on April 10 and August 7, 2018 from 6:00-7:30pm. The TCSA clubhouse is located at 97457 North State Route 225. The Shotgun Range Clubhouse is located in the Rattlesnake Mountain Shooting Facility Complex. Directions can be found on the TCSA website at www.tcsa.info. You must pre-register in order to take the examination by contacting Tom Conrads at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Master Hunter tests will be proctored in the Leavenworth/Wenatchee area on an "as needed" basis. You must pre-register in order to take the examination by calling Ray Boone at (509) 548-4206, or via email at email@example.com.
- Master Hunter tests will be proctored at the WDFW Region Five Office located at 5525 South 11th Street, in Ridgefield. The test dates are March 22, April 21, June 28, July 26, August 23, September 27, and October 25, 2018. All test sessions will begin promptly at 5:00 P.M. To register, call Jim Sevier at (360) 904-1456. A CORT class will be held with the April 21 test date.
- Master Hunter tests will be proctored in Cowlitz County on an “as needed” basis. You must pre-register in order to take the examination by contacting George Dennis at (360) 423-0059 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Master Hunter tests will be proctored at the WDFW Region Two Office located at 1550 Alder Street N.W. in Ephrata. Pre-registration is required and testing will occur during business hours M-F. To make reservations call (509) 754-4624, extension #223
Grays Harbor County
- Master Hunter tests will be proctored at the WDFW Region Six Office located at 48 Devonshire Road in Montesano. Pre-registration is required and testing will occur promptly at 10 A.M. Tuesday through Thursdays. Scheduling will be based on a case by case basis depending upon staff availability, and at least 24 hours advance notice is necessary. To make reservations call (360) 249-4628.
- Master Hunter tests will be proctored at the Seattle Public Library High Point Branch 3411 SW Raymond St, Seattle, WA 98126. The test dates are May 22 and July 3, 2018 5:45 PM - 7:00 PM. The test session will begin promptly at 5:45 PM. Master Hunter tests will also be proctored in the Seattle area on an "as needed" basis. You must pre-register in order to take the examination by calling Jeff Larsen at (206) 501-9881, or via email at email@example.com (preferred).
- Master Hunter tests will be proctored in the Davenport area on an "as needed" basis. You must pre-register in order to take the examination by calling Jim Reinbold at (509) 953-3376, or via e-mail at JMRein4061@aol.com.
- Master Hunter tests will be proctored in the Union area on an "as needed" basis. You must pre-register in order to take the examination by contacting Jim Fitzgerald at 206-714-2591 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Master Hunter tests will be proctored at the Tacoma Rifle and Revolver Club, located at 8503 Chambers Creek Road West, in University Place. Pre-registration is required and testing will occur as coordinated with the test proctor. Testing windows will usually be available once per month, during the week, at 6:30pm. At least 24 hours notice is required. To make reservations, call Bob Brown at residence (253) 582-2726 or by cell (253) 677-0568.
- Master Hunter Exams will be proctored in Burlington on March 25, June 16, September 22, and November 3. All exams will start at 10am, and will be located at the Holiday Sports at 895 Nevitt Road, Burlington, WA 98233. You must pre-register to take the exam by contacting Dave Floyd at email@example.com.
- Master Hunter tests will be proctored at the WDFW Region Four Office located at 16018 Mill Creek Boulevard, in Mill Creek. The test dates are February 14, March 14, April 11, May 16, June 13, July 11, August 15, September 12, October 17, and November 14, 2018. Test will start at 3:00pm and be by appointment only as there are a limited number of seats available. To register, call the Region Four WDFW Office at (425) 775-1311, press 0 for customer service.
- Master Hunter tests will be proctored at the Spokane Region One WDFW Office beginning promptly at 1:00 P.M. on March 14 and 28, April 11 and 25, May 9 and 23, June 13 and 27, July 11 and 25, August 8 and 22, September 12 and 26, October 10 and 24, and November 7, 2018. The Regional Office is located at 2315 North Discovery Place, Spokane Valley. Additional exams will be held at 1:00P.M. on Saturday May 12, and August 11 at the Spokane Gun Club located at 19615 East Sprague Avenue, Greenacres. You must pre-register by calling the WDFW Region One Office at (509) 892-1001.
- Master Hunter tests will be proctored in Olympia at the Natural Resources Building (NRB) on an "as needed" basis. We are located at 1111 Washington Street S.E. on the 5th floor. Please park in the NRB Visitor's Parking lot. Parking fees are 50 cents per hour and you must purchase and display parking passes in your vehicle. You must pre-register by contacting Tracy Loveless at (360) 902-8412, or Tracy.Loveless@dfw.wa.gov.
- Master Hunter tests will be proctored in Bellingham on an "as needed" basis. Location: 4341 Cable Street, Bellingham 98229. Directions: take exit 253 and go right on King Street, left on Lakeway Drive, proceed about 4 miles staying right at the "Y' about a mile in. It is the first house on the left when road turns into Cable Street at the top of the hill. Grey house with 3 driveways. You must pre-register by contacting Paul Sadler at 360-671-8704 or 360-739-0943 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Master Hunter tests will be proctored at the WDFW Yakima Region Three Office on March 30, May 25, July 20, August 31, and October 12, 2018. Examinations will begin promptly at 9:00 am. Class size is limited to 10 people. The Region Three Office is located at 1701 South 24th Avenue, Yakima. Tests may also be offered on an "as needed" basis. To pre-register, please contact James Conway at email@example.com or (509) 654-8391, leave a message if there is no answer.