WDFW Online Sales and Services

Contact Licensing

Aquatic Plants and Fish Pamphlet
Aquatic Plants & Fish Pamphlet

For more information, please write to:
Washington Department of
Fish and Wildlife
Habitat and Lands Program
600 Capitol Way N
Olympia WA 98501-1091
(360) 902-2534

Effective July 1, 2015 the 2015 Aquatic Plants and Fish pamphlet replaces the previous version of the pamphlet published in 1998 (APF-1-98). It serves as the Hydraulic Project Approval (HPA) for some types of aquatic weed or plant control and removal including physical and mechanical methods. It does not address using grass carp, herbicides, or water column dye. You may find information regarding those methods at Washington Department of Ecology’s website on aquatic plant management at http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wq/plants/management/index.html. Depending on the method you select to control aquatic noxious weeds or beneficial plants, an individual HPA may be required. If you use this pamphlet as your HPA for aquatic weed or plant control, please review it thoroughly and follow all applicable provisions. You may download, save and print a copy of the Aquatic Plants and Fish pamphlet on this website or request one from a WDFW office. The administrative rules adopted by the Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) addressed in this pamphlet are included in WAC 220-660-290.

This pamphlet does not contain information about how to identify aquatic noxious weeds or beneficial plants, or make recommendations on which control method would be best in a specific situation. There are many online and other resources available that you may wish to consult when deciding whether or how to control aquatic plants. One such resource is Washington Department of Ecology’s Water Quality website, specifically its pages titled Aquatic Plants, Algae, and Lakes at http://www.ecy.wa.gov/programs/wq/links/plants.html