The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) collects wings and tails of hunter-harvested forest grouse (spruce, ruffed, dusky and sooty species) during the Sept. 15 - Jan. 15 hunting season. The goal of this collection effort is to build estimated population trend datasets for each species to evaluate harvest changes. Other factors will also be evaluated, including wildfire and weather patterns that may contribute to changes in harvest and overall populations at the species level.
Grouse hunters can help by depositing one wing and the tail of each grouse harvested into wing collection barrels placed around the state or by bringing them to the closest WDFW District or Regional office. Directions and diagrams are provided to help you retrieve the necessary samples.
Place samples in the paper bag provided at wing barrels, or any paper bag. Use one bag for each bird. Avoid using plastic bags (especially Ziplocs), as they speed up decay.
On the outside of the bag, please record:
- The species of grouse.
- The game management unit (GMU) where the grouse was harvested.
- The county where the grouse was harvested.
- The date of the harvest.
Deposit the bag in a wing barrel or drop it off at any WDFW district or regional office. If neither of these are viable options the day of harvest, please refrigerate or freeze the parts until you can drop them off at a different time.
Grouse wing barrel locations
Region 1 - Eastern Washington
- Ferry County – Boulder Highway and Hwy 395 intersection. GPS 48.83666 -118.18738
- Ferry County – Sherman Creek (Hwy 20) at the Sherman Creek parking area located 1.6 miles south of the junction with Hwy 395. GPS 48.60833 -118.13782
- Ferry County - Intersection of Hwy 20 and 21 at the Pine Grove Junction Gas Station, just east of the town of Republic. GPS 48.65095 -118.68487
- Pend Oreille County – Crossroads at intersection of Triangle Rd and Highway 20. GPS 48.306324 -117.284525
- Pend Oreille County – LeClerc Creek Road at the junction of the West and East branch Leclerc roads. GPS 48.53488 -117.28293
- Spokane County – Inland Empire Paper gate at Thompson Creek
- Spokane County – Inland Northwest Wildlife Council, 6116 N Market St., Spokane
- Spokane County – WDFW regional office (2315 N. Discovery Place, Spokane Valley) - Lab rollup door (for after hour and weekend drop off)
- Stevens County – Bear Creek Road where it enters the Little Pend Oreille Refuge
- Stevens County – Narcisse Creek Road where it enters the Little Pend Oreille Refuge
- Stevens County – Hwy 20 and Tacoma Creek Road intersection. GPS 48.39469 -117.31510
- Stevens County - Burnt Valley Road and Snook Road intersection. GPS 48.33726 -117.6239
Stevens County - Intersection of Hwy 231 and the Springdale-Hunters road, just west of the town of Springdale. GPS 48.05945 -117.75634
Region 2 - North Central Washington
- Chelan County -- Cooper Mountain Rd. (8020 Road) at Intersection of Black Canyon (4010 Road) & Cooper Mtn Rds.
- Chelan County – Shady Pass (5900 Road)
- Chelan County – French Corral (Eagle Creek and 5800 Road)
- Chelan County - Colockum Wildlife Area, at the intersection of Colockum Rd and Ingersoll Rd. GPS 47.25964 -120.213922
- Okanogan County – Bonaparte Lake
- Okanogan County – Loomis
- Okanogan County – Conconully
- Okanogan County – East Chewuch Road
Region 3 - South Central Washington
- Kittitas County – Coleman Creek Road at the entrance to Naneum State Forest. GPS 47.1045 -120.39865
- Kittitas County – W Taneum Road, Entrance to L.T. Murray Wildlife Area. GPS 47.0873 -120.79085
- Yakima County – Junction of Oak Creek Road (1400) and Hwy 12. GPS 46.72399 -120.81432 - Temporarily closed due to fire
- Yakima County – Junction of North Fork and Nasty Creek Roads. GPS 46.56476 -120.91966
Region 4 - North Puget Sound
- King County - Beckler River Road. GPS 47.72331 -121.33911
- King County – Lizard Lake. GPS 47.28248, -121.35183
- Skagit County - Cascade Mercantile Picnic Pavilion on the NE corner of the store. GPS 48.52990 -122.06290
- Snohomish County - Darrington USFS Ranger Station. GPS 48.26045 -121.60220
- Whatcom County - SE corner of the Welcome Grocery Store building (5565 Mt Baker Hwy, Deming)
Region 5 - Southwestern Washington
- Clark County – Southwest Regional Office 5525 S 11th St, Ridgefield. GPS 45.807106 -122.692091
- Cowlitz County - Junction of the 1900/1901 on Weyerhaeuser land near Kid Valley. GPS 46.37706 -122.60943
- Cowlitz County - Junction of the 4100/4200 on Weyerhaeuser land east of the town of Toutle. GPS 46.30905 -122.6466
- Lewis County - Peterman Hill Road, entrance to the Peterman Ridge Unit of the Cowlitz Wildlife Area. GPS 46.53417 -122.34213
- Lewis County - Western access point to Vail Tree Farm at intersection of Big Hanaford Rd and the 150 Rd near the gate
- Klickitat County - Mt Adams Ranger Station, 2455 Hwy 141 Trout Lake. GPS 46.000124 -121.542045
- Skamania/Klickitat County Line – At the intersection of Northwestern Lake Rd and Big Buck Creek Rd/Lakeview Rd, just west of Northwestern Park. GPS 45.78200 -121.51774
- Skamania County - USFS Beaver Campground north of Stabler on the Wind River Hwy. GPS 45.85639 -121.95667
- Wahkiakum County - Outside of the Entrance Gate to the Visitors Center/Office of Julia Butler Hansen National Wildlife Refuge, 46 Steamboat Slough Road. GPS 46.2319 -123.3983
Region 6 - Coastal Washington
- Clallam County - Slab Camp Road & Lost Mountain Road Junction
- Clallam County - Junction of the Cooper Ranch Road and US Forest Service Road #29
- Clallam County - Junction of Salmon Creek Road (NF 2850) with NF Road 2906. GPS 47.98172 -122.97698
- Grays Harbor County - Intersection of Wynoochee Valley Road and Cougar Smith Road, north of Montesano.
- Grays Harbor County - intersection of Hwy. 101 and Quinault Ridge Rd.
- Mason County - Near Mill 5 off of W. Shelton Matlock Rd.
- Mason County - Along Skokomish Valley Road across from the George Adams Hatchery north of Shelton. GPS 47.30103 -123.18236
- Thurston County - Northern Access Point to Vail Tree Farm, intersection of Sorenson Rd SE and Weyerhauser Truck Rd SE
- Thurston County - Skookumchuck Wildlife Area main parking lot on north side of Skookumchuck Rd SE