Catch reporting

The catch record card is an important management tool for estimating the recreational catch of salmon, steelhead, sturgeon, halibut and Puget Sound Dungeness crab. 

The law requires that a catch record card must be in your possession when you are fishing for these species.  After you catch a fish or crab, you are required to enter that catch on your catch record card before continuing to fish. All anglers are required to return their cards by the appropriate deadline, even if you did not catch anything (WAC 220-310-020 and WAC 220-310-010). 

There are three different catch record cards:

  • Fish Catch Record Card: This card is issued at no cost with annual and temporary fishing licenses, excluding the shellfish/seaweed and razor clam license and should be used if fishing for salmon, steelhead and sturgeon. 
  • Halibut Catch Record Card: This card is only needed if you will be fishing for halibut. The catch record card is issued when the $5.50 fee is paid. 
  • Puget Sound Dungeness Crab Catch Record Card: This card is issued at no charge with the Puget Sound crab endorsement. There is a catch record card for summer and one for fall/winter. 

Canadian salmon trip notification

If you plan to fish for salmon in Canadian marine waters and return to Washington with your catch in your boat, you must notify WDFW before leaving state waters.

Voluntary Trip Report Program

WDFW is also working to increase angler participation in our Voluntary Trip Report Program across selective chinook and coho fisheries in marine areas 1-13.