A field trial permit is required for any organized "hunting dog," "retriever," "versatile dog," or "tracking dog" activity in which participants are in competition with one another for cash awards, trophies, citations, or any other prizes, or receive scores for their dog’s performance.
Download the field trial permit application to get started.
Please remit fees with application and all relevant documents to the regional office where the field trial is being held. The following fees apply:
- Non-refundable application fee: $70
- Permit fee: $24
Applications for a field trial permit must be filed with the department at least 30 days before the proposed field trial date. It is unlawful to hold field trials for hunting dogs during the months of April, May, June, and July unless permitted by WDFW.
Birds used for field trials must be marked prior to release.
When do you need a field trial permit?
You need a field trial permit if:
- The field trial will be on WDFW lands or,
- If live wildlife will be used (examples: pheasant, duck, rabbit, raccoon)
If you are holding a field trial that is on WDFW land you will need:
- A field trial permit.
- A Temporary Land Use Permit ($50)
- Note: On the Davis Creek Unit of the Scatter Creek Wildlife Area, an additional $90 fee is required for servicing the on-site portable toilet. If more than 30 people will be in attendance, the permittee must make arrangements at their own expense for the delivery and maintenance of additional portable toilets.
Please contact the Department of Fish and Wildlife at 360-902-2515 to purchase bands (15 cents apiece in lots of 100).
Applicable laws and rules
Revised Code of Washington (RCW)
- Hunting and fishing contests -- Field trials for dogs -- Permit -- Rules. (RCW 77.32.540)
- Hunting and fishing contests -- Field trials for dogs -- Rules -- Limitation. (RCW 77.32.525)
- Taxidermist, fur dealer, fishing guide, game farmer, anadromous game fish buyer -- Licenses -- Fish stocking and game contest permits. (RCW 77.65.480)
- Unlawful hunting or fishing contests -- Penalty. (RCW 77.15.330)
Washington Administrative Code (WAC)
- Permit for holding field trials. (WAC 220-412-120)
- Use of game birds for training dogs, field trials -- Marking requirements. (WAC 220-416-110)
- Criteria for planting aquatic plants and releasing wildlife. -- Section (f) (WAC 220-450-010)
- Public conduct in wildlife areas and access sites owned or controlled by the department of fish and wildlife. (WAC 220-500)