A permit may be required for an organized hunt contest activity, not including field trials, in which participants are in competition with one another. It is unlawful to participate in a hunting contest for which no permit has been issued by the department.
You need a hunt contest permit if:
- An organized competition is held in which participants are given an allotted amount of time to harvest a specific wildlife species.
- Nonrefundable application fee: $70.00
- Permit fee: $24.00
A person wishing to hold a hunting contest must comply with the following provisions:
- Only organizations filed with the state of Washington as a nonprofit corporation may apply for a hunting contest permit.
- Hunting contest permit applications shall be submitted to the department 30 days prior to the proposed contest date.
- Applications must include the $70.00 application fee, $24.00 permit fee. The permit fee will be returned if the permit is denied.
- Contests involving unclassified and classified wildlife species without a bag limit are prohibited and will not be permitted.
- Total value of prizes per contest shall not exceed $2000.
- Entry fees or requests for donations are prohibited.
- It is unlawful to fail to comply with the conditions of a hunting contest permit.
Hunting contests which may adversely affect wildlife resources will be denied.
Please contact the WDFW Wildlife Program at 360-902-2515 or firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application or for additional information