Over the years, The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife's (WDFW) ALEA Grant Program has supported hundreds of individuals and organizations who have undertaken a variety of projects that engage volunteers and benefit fish and wildlife resources.
ALEA grants are in high demand; therefore, we follow a competitive process to select recipients.
What projects are eligible for funding?
Many project types are eligible, including:
- Habitat - activities that restore and/or preserve fish and wildlife habitat.
- Research - activities that increase our knowledge of fish and wildlife species.
- Education - efforts to share information or provide hands-on experiences to enhance public knowledge of fish, wildlife and their habitats.
- Facility development - efforts to provide or enhance access to fish and wildlife related recreational opportunities.
- Artificial production - efforts to rear and release fish or wildlife to restore populations or for public recreation. Applicants must obtain pre-approval from WDFW to be eligible for funding.
Eligible applicants include individual citizens, non-profit organizations, schools and universities, conservation districts, and tribal governments. For-profit businesses, state, and federal agencies are not eligible.
The ALEA Policies and Procedures Manual describes grant guidelines, which include:
- Grant funds are available on a cost reimbursement basis.
- Funds may not be used for direct wages, benefits, or stipends.
- Grantees must register volunteers and report volunteer hours.
- Grant recipients must follow state purchasing rules. Equipment purchased with grant funds must be returned to the department at project completion.
- Project outcomes must be available to the public per Chapter 77.100 RCW.
Grant applications for the 2019-2021 biennium were accepted from Dec. 1, 2018 to Feb. 28, 2019.
For further information, please contact WDFW at 360-902-2685 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Grant forms and reports
Managing your grant
- Register with the Community Event Registration and Volunteer Information System (CERVIS)
- Volunteer registration and agreement form
- ALEA A-19 Contract Payment Voucher (Microsoft Word)
- ALEA A-20 Travel Expense Voucher (Microsoft Excel)
- Statewide Payee Registration W-9