Over the years, The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife's (WDFW) ALEA Grant Program has supported hundreds of individuals and organizations who have undertaken a variety of projects that engage volunteers and benefit fish and wildlife resources.
ALEA grants are in high demand; therefore, we follow a competitive process to select recipients.
What projects are eligible for funding?
Many project types are eligible, including:
- Habitat - activities that restore and/or preserve fish and wildlife habitat.
- Research - activities that increase our knowledge of fish and wildlife species.
- Education - efforts to share information or provide hands-on experiences to enhance public knowledge of fish, wildlife and their habitats.
- Facility development - efforts to provide or enhance access to fish and wildlife related recreational opportunities.
- Artificial production - efforts to rear and release fish or wildlife to restore populations or for public recreation. Applicants must obtain pre-approval from WDFW to be eligible for funding.
Eligible applicants include individual citizens, non-profit organizations, schools and universities, conservation districts, and tribal governments. For-profit businesses, state, and federal agencies are not eligible.
The ALEA Policies and Procedures Manual describes grant guidelines, which include:
- Grant funds are available on a cost reimbursement basis.
- Funds may not be used for direct wages, benefits, or stipends.
- Grantees must register volunteers and report volunteer hours.
- Grant recipients must follow state purchasing rules. Equipment purchased with grant funds must be returned to the department at project completion.
- Project outcomes must be available to the public per Chapter 77.100 RCW.
Grant applications for the 2021-2023 biennium will be accepted from Dec. 1, 2020 to Feb. 28, 2021.
To start the application process, complete and submit the grant eligibility questionnaire form available below.
For further information, please contact WDFW at 360-902-2685 or email@example.com.
Grant forms and reports
Managing your grant
- Register with the Community Event Registration and Volunteer Information System (CERVIS)
- Volunteer registration and agreement form
- ALEA A-19 Contract Payment Voucher (Microsoft Word)
- ALEA A-20 Travel Expense Voucher (Microsoft Excel)
- Statewide Payee Registration W-9