The Puget Sound Commercial Herring Fishery is OPEN. This is a limited entry fishery. See the map on this page for open areas/dates.
- The fishery may close by emergency regulation if harvest exceeds 10 percent of adult spawning biomass.
- Questions? Contact Adam Lindquist at 360-902-2704 or email@example.com
A commercial fishery for herring is allowed in Puget Sound waters using Lampara and Dip Bag gear with area, timing, and gear restrictions.
Regulations on commercial fishing for herring in Puget Sound include:
- Lampara nets shall not exceed 200 feet
- Lampara nets shall not contain meshes less than ½ inch
- Logbooks must be fill out for every set and submitted monthly
For information on regulations regarding the commercial Puget Sound herring fishery, see:
- WAC 220-356-080 Puget Sound herring and anchovy commercial fisheries—Dip bag net
- WAC 220-356-090 Herring, anchovy and smelt fishing—Lampara
- WAC 220-356-110 Herring and anchovy—Seasons—Lawful gear—Purposes
- WAC 220-356-120 Herring, anchovy and pilchard fishing—Live boxes—Identification
- WAC 220-356-160 Herring reporting