Recreational bottomfish and halibut
Reminder that Barbless Hooks are required for all species in Marine Areas 5 through 13—including for halibut and bottomfish—except when using forage fish jig gear to target forage fish (herring, sandlance, anchovy, sardine and smelt). See Marine Area Rules & Definitions in the Washington Sport Fishing Rules.
Recreational fishing seasons and regulations in Washington's waters for bottomfish and halibut, including weekly updates.
2022 bottomfish and lingcod seasons
Marine Areas 1-3 and Marine Area 4 west of Bonilla-Tatoosh:
- March 12 – October 15, 2022
- Daily bag limit of two lingcod per angler no minimum size limit
Marine Area 4 (east of Bonilla-Tatoosh):
- Recreational bottomfish: open year round
- Recreational lingcod: March 12 – October 15, 2022
- Daily bag limit of two lingcod per angler, no minimum size limit
WDFW is hosting virtual public meetings this summer and fall to discuss season structure and proposed dates for the 2023 sport halibut season.
August 9, 2022 Planning meeting recap:
October 4, 2022 Planning meeting recap: