|Halibut Caught (pounds)||Quota
|Aug 13, 16||1,925||1,305||24,134||29,906|
|Aug 20, 23||210||172||2,593||27,313|
|Aug 27, 30||703||574||9,702||17,611|
|Sep 3, 4, 6||421||326||5,121||12,490|
|Sep 10, 11, 13||203||153||2,134||10,356|
|Sep 17, 20||107||111||1,932||8,424|
|Sep 24, 27||12||3||52||8,372|
|Sep 28, 29||16||1||26||8,346|
|Halibut Caught (pounds)||Quota Remaining*|
2020 halibut season dates
Pacific halibut are quota managed, days open are dependent on available quota and Marine Areas will close when the quota is projected to be obtained.
- Open Thursday, Aug. 6. Then, beginning Aug. 13, open two days per week, Thursdays and Sundays, through Sept. 30 or until the quota is taken. If catch and effort is tracking slower than anticipated, additional days may be added. Proposed additional dates are Friday, Aug. 28; Friday, Sept. 4; and Friday, Sept. 11.
South Coast (Marine Area 2)
If sufficient quota remains after the all-depth fishery has closed, the northern nearshore area will open on the following Saturday. When quota is available, the nearshore area will be open 7-days per week until the remaining quota is taken.
The northern nearshore area includes the waters from 47° 31.70’ N. latitude south to 46° 58.00’ N. latitude and east of a line approximating 30 fathoms as described by the following coordinates:
- 47°31.70’ N. 124°37.03’W.
- 47°25.67’ N. 124°34.79’W.
- 47°12.82’ N. 124°29.12’W.
- 46°58.00’ N. 124°24.24’W.
In all marine areas open to halibut fishing, there is a one-fish daily catch limit and no minimum size restriction. There is a four fish annual bag limit. Anglers must record their catch on a WDFW catch record card.
Check for additional information as the season progresses in the Emergency Rules website.
2020 Bottomfish Regulations
Recreational fishing for lingcod is prohibited seaward of a boundary line approximating the 30-fm (55 m) depth contour from March 14 through May 31. The retention of lingcod seaward of the 30 fathom line is allowed on days that the primary halibut season is open. The retention of yelloweye rockfish is prohibited.
The 30 fathom depth contour is described by the coordinates below:
- 47°31.70'N. lat., 124°37.03'W. long.
- 47°25.67'N. lat., 124°34.79'W. long.
- 47°12.82'N. lat., 124°29.12'W. long.
- 46°52.94'N. lat., 124°22.58'W. long.
- 46°44.18'N. lat., 124°18.00'W. long.
- 46°38.17'N. lat., 124°15.88'W. long.
Deepwater Lingcod Closure Area
Recreational fishing for, retention or possession of lingcod is prohibited seaward of a line extending from 47°31.70'N. lat., 124°45.00'W. long. south to 46°38.17'N. lat., 124°30.00'W. long. Lingcod retention is allowed in this areas on days open to the primary (all-depth) halibut season. Lingcod may also be taken, retained and possessed in this area from June 1 through June 15 and September 1 through September 15.
Halibut and Bottomfish Closure Areas
It is prohibited to fish for, retain, or possess bottomfish and halibut in the South Coast Recreational YRCA and the Westport Offshore YRCA. Salmon anglers may not fish for salmon with bottomfish aboard in these areas:
South Coast YRCA
- 46º58.00’ N, 124º48.00’W, and continuing to
- 46º55.00’ N, 124º48.00’W, then to
- 46º55.00’ N, 124º49.00’W, then to
- 46º58.00’ N, 124º49.00’W, and back to the point of origin
Westport Offshore YRCA
- 46º54.30’N, 124º53.40’W and continuing to
- 46º54.30’N, 124º51.00’W, then to
- 46º53.30’N, 124º51.00’W, then to
- 46º53.30’N, 124º53.40’W, and back to the point of origin
Bottomfish Seasons and Limits
Recreational fishing for bottomfish will be open from the second Saturday in March through the third Saturday in October, which is March 14 through October 17, 2020. Daily limit is a total of 9 bottomfish regardless of species, subject to individual limits shown below. In addition to the nine bottomfish daily limit, three additional flatfish species (excluding Pacific halibut) can be retained.
- Marine Area 2 (Westport): Open March 14 – October 17, 2020.
- The daily bag limit is two per angler.
- No retention of possession seaward of 30 fathoms March 14 – May 31 (except when the primary halibut season is open).
- No retention or possession seaward of the deepwater closure area except, lingcod retention is allowed seaward of the deepwater closure area (see above) on days open to the recreational halibut fishery and from June 1 through June 15 and September 1 through September 15.
- Open March 14 through October 17, 2020. No minimum size. Daily limit 7. Retention of yelloweye rockfish is prohibited. See bottomfish restricted areas above.
- Open March 14 through October 17, 2020. No minimum size. Daily limit 1.
Sixgill, Sevengill, and Thresher sharks
Closed to fishing for, retaining, or possessing. Sixgill shark may not be removed from the water.
Open year-round. No minimum size. Daily limit 12, except Shiner perch daily limit 15 is not included in the bottomfish daily limit.