|Halibut Caught (pounds)||Quota
|May 6, 9||710||637||10,485||53,151|
|May 13, 16||1,423||1,266||20,401||32,750|
|May 20, 23||1,219||1,067||17,793||14,957|
|June 17, 20||1,334||1,234||21,489||
|Halibut Caught (pounds)||Quota Remaining*|
2021 halibut season dates
Pacific halibut are quota managed, days open are dependent on available quota and Marine Areas will close when the quota is projected to be obtained. The following is intended to show the proposed season structure, but season dates are not guaranteed to be open.
- May 6 through May 23, two days per week, Thursday and Sunday
- Memorial Day weekend, open Thursday, May 27
- If sufficient quota remains, open June 17, 20, 24, 27
- Friday, August 27
- If sufficient quota remains, Friday September 24
South Coast (Marine Area 2)
If sufficient quota remains after the all-depth fishery has closed, the northern nearshore area will open on the following Saturday. When quota is available, the nearshore area will be open 7-days per week until the remaining quota is taken.
The northern nearshore area includes the waters from 47° 31.70’ N. latitude south to 46° 58.00’ N. latitude and east of a line approximating 30 fathoms as described by the following coordinates:
- 47°31.70’ N. 124°37.03’W.
- 47°25.67’ N. 124°34.79’W.
- 47°12.82’ N. 124°29.12’W.
- 46°58.00’ N. 124°24.24’W.
In all marine areas open to halibut fishing, there is a one-fish daily catch limit and no minimum size restriction. There is a four fish annual bag limit. Anglers must record their catch on a WDFW catch record card.
Check for additional information as the season progresses in the Emergency Rules website.
2021 Bottomfish Regulations
Recreational fishing for lingcod is prohibited seaward of a boundary line approximating the 30-fm (55 m) depth contour from May 1 through May 31. The retention of lingcod seaward of the 30 fathom line is allowed on days that the primary halibut season is open. The retention of yelloweye rockfish is prohibited.
The 30 fathom depth contour is described by the coordinates below:
- 47°31.70'N. lat., 124°37.03'W. long.
- 47°25.67'N. lat., 124°34.79'W. long.
- 47°12.82'N. lat., 124°29.12'W. long.
- 46°52.94'N. lat., 124°22.58'W. long.
- 46°44.18'N. lat., 124°18.00'W. long.
- 46°38.17'N. lat., 124°15.88'W. long.
Deepwater Lingcod Closure Area
Recreational fishing for, retention or possession of lingcod is prohibited seaward of a line extending from 47°31.70'N. lat., 124°45.00'W. long. south to 46°38.17'N. lat., 124°30.00'W. long. Lingcod retention is allowed in this areas on days open to the primary (all-depth) halibut season. Lingcod may also be taken, retained and possessed in this area from June 1 through June 15 and September 1 through September 30.
Bottomfish Seasons and Limits
Recreational fishing for bottomfish will be open from the second Saturday in March through the third Saturday in October, which is March 13 through October 16, 2021. Daily limit is a total of 9 bottomfish regardless of species, subject to individual limits shown below. In addition to the nine bottomfish daily limit, five additional flatfish species (excluding Pacific halibut) can be retained.
- Marine Area 2 (Westport): Open March 13 – October 16, 2021.
- The daily bag limit is two per angler.
- No retention or possession seaward of 30 fathoms May 1 – May 31 (except when the primary halibut season is open)
- No retention or possession seaward of the deepwater closure area except, lingcod retention is allowed seaward of the deepwater closure area (see above) on days open to the recreational halibut fishery and from June 1 through June 15 and September 1 through September 30.
- Open March 13 through October 16, 2021. No minimum size. Daily limit 7. Retention of yelloweye rockfish is prohibited.
- Open March 13 through October 16, 2021. No minimum size. Daily limit 1.
Sixgill, Sevengill, and Thresher sharks
Closed to fishing for, retaining, or possessing. Sixgill shark may not be removed from the water.
Open year-round. No minimum size. Daily limit 12, except Shiner perch daily limit 15 is not included in the bottomfish daily limit.