Most people apply for a standard HPA and receive their permit within 45 days of submitting a complete application. You may get your HPA faster, particularly if there is a threat to life, property, or the environment - certain criteria apply.
Our Aquatic Protection Permitting System (APPS) will walk you through the application process and guide you to the HPA that best meets your needs. There are different types of HPAs for different conditions (RCW 77.55.021). The most common HPAs are:
- Standard - needed to conduct certain types of activities in or near water.
- Expedited - when the standard processing time would result in significant hardship for the applicant or unacceptable damage to the environment AND there is an “imminent danger” (RCW 77.55.011(12)).
- Emergency - Must be an immediate threat to life or property expected to occur AND declared an emergency by the governor, WDFW, or county legislative authority (RCW 77.55.021(12)). Please contact your local Habitat Biologist or call the Emergency Hotline 360-902-2537 for immediate help.
Some activities in and around water may occur without a written HPA. Our pamphlet HPAs contain rules to protect fish and their habitats and serve as your HPA for specific activities:
- Gold and Fish: Rules for Mineral Prospecting and Placer Mining.
- Aquatic Plants and Fish: Rules for Aquatic Plant Removal and Control.