Hydraulic Project Approval (HPA)

Washington State law (RCW 77.55) requires people planning hydraulic projects in or near state waters to get a Hydraulic Project Approval (HPA) from the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW). This includes most marine and fresh waters. An HPA ensures that construction is done in a manner that protects fish and their aquatic habitats.

The Office of Regulatory Innovation and Assistance (ORIA) has in-depth information about most environmental permits in their Regulatory Handbook. WDFW permit processing and issuing times can be found in the handbook and are also available in ORIA's Permit Timeliness Data repository.