The department helps irrigators find screening solutions that meet irrigation needs, protect fish, and reduce maintenance costs. We can assess your existing screen and recommend upgrades to help you meet state regulations, if needed. If you don't have a fish screen, but should, we can suggest one that best meets your irrigation needs.
What is a fish screen?
A fish screen is structure placed at a water diversion to protect juvenile fish from entering irrigation channels. They are designed to protect fish from dying or becoming stranded.
What are the benefits of fish screens?
Fish screens increase survival of fish when irrigators withdraw water. Screens will:
- Provide water users with cleaner water.
- Provide more reliable flow.
- Prevent fish from being harmed or stranded in irrigation channels.
- Ensure you meet state regulations and avoid enforcement actions.
- Maintenance recommendations and service contracts
- Project costs and support
- Regulations, guidelines, and determining compliance
Fish Screening Team