Disabled hunter road access entry program

ADA Road Access Entry Program Pamphlet Cover


The Road Access Entry Program Booklet provides access to hunters with lower extremity mobility disabilities into areas with fewer barriers and vehicle distraction.

About the program

This is a cooperative effort between the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW), Recreation and Conservation Office (RCO), Department of Natural Resources (DNR), U.S. Forest Service (USFS), Private Timber Companies, Nonprofit Organizations and Private Landowners.

This is not the same as the special permit drawings offered each year in the “Big Game Hunting Seasons and Regulations." This is not a permit drawing for deer or elk tag, doe or cow tag.

If drawn, you will be issued an access special use permit by the land manager allowing you to drive a motorized vehicle into a closed or gated area where other hunters must walk in.

All areas are:
        • open to walk-in hunters.
        • open to administrative use by the agency or land manager.
        • subject to tribal treaties, logging, fire, emergency closures… etc.

You do not have to buy your license or tags first to apply for these Road Access Entry Permits; you only need to be a WDFW registered hunter with a disability and have your Disabled Hunter WILD ID number available (This number is found on your license)However, if drawn for a Road Access Entry Permit, you must have all appropriate licenses and tags for the game you are pursuing. Everyone must follow all state regulations pertaining to hunting in Washington State.


It is the responsibility of the hunter to ensure that you are properly licensed, hunting within the legal areas and hunting for the appropriate species. At any time, landowners and managers may cancel the permit due to fire danger, logging activity, vandalism, etc. The Department has no control over these decisions. If closures and/or cancellations occur, the Department cannot guarantee that a new access permit will be issued, or alternate access opportunities will be available. This program does not guarantee a successful harvest. If any errors are found in the 2021 Road Access Entry Booklet, please reference the 2021 Big Game Hunting Regulations for most up-to-date information. 

Qualifying for the program

To apply for this ADA accommodation, you must meet the following criteria:

1. Have WDFW disability status in good standing, and
2. Have a permanent inoperable lower extremity mobility impairment, and
3. WAC 220-200-160(1)(a): Have been medically prescribed the use of an assistive device every time for mobility, including, but not limited to, a wheelchair, walker, crutch, lower extremity prosthesis, or oxygen bottle, or
4. RCW 46.19.010(1)(a-j): Have been issued a DOL blue disability parking permit, or
5. Unable to walk more than 200 feet.

How to apply

You must complete the official ONLINE application form for deer and/or elk to be eligible for the drawing.

Mail-in applications are no longer accepted.

Road Access Entry Program Booklets are available by the middle of June each year at any WDFW Regional Office, or by calling the Wildlife Program Customer Service desk at 360-902-2515.

Please review all the Road Access Areas and their locations. Apply only for those areas you would travel to should you be drawn. If applying for elk, the west side and east side elk tags are different, and you must hunt in compliance with your license, tags, and equipment.

Game Management Unit (GMU) numbers for the Road Access Entry Areas are listed at the top of each page for your convenience.

Filling out the submission form

You may select up to four (4) options. These options can be any combination of either Elk and/or Deer. Fill out the online submission form with the entry number(s) for the road area(s) you would like access to. Please read where the Road Access areas are located and apply only for those areas you would actually travel to if you should be drawn.

Entry Numbers in the booklet are separated into two hunt categories, Deer and Elk. Please be aware of which entry you are applying for and ensure you list the appropriate entry number.

Enter the number listed under the left “Entry Number” column into the choice box on the submission form. Do not use the GMU number. If GMU's are entered, the form will be rejected.

Your WILD ID number must appear in the ONLINE form to qualify for the drawing.

Complete all information requested in the ONLINE form. If you want to be considered as an alternate, check the “alternate” box. If there are areas left over or someone cancels, WDFW will, wherever possible, match hunters not drawn to an area close to their preferred choice.

Note:  Only one online submission per hunter will be accepted. If more than one entry is received, that applicant will not be allowed to participate in the drawing and the entry will be rejected.

Again, application submissions will begin the first week of June and close July 31. WDFW will only accept 2021 Road Access Program submissions ONLINE.

Open the “Submit an Application” bar below and start your entry submission.

If you are not able to access this process online, please call Wildlife Program Customer Service (360) 902-2515,

Or call you regional WDFW office for assistance:

  •  Eastern - Region 1, Spokane 509-892-1001
  •  North Central - Region 2, Ephrata 509-754-4624
  •  South Central - Region 3, Yakima 509-575-2740
  •  North Puget Sound - Region 4, Mill Creek 425-775-1311
  •  Southwest - Region 5, Ridgefield 360-696-6211
  •  Coastal - Region 6, Montesano 360-249-4628 

Drawing notification

Hunters who have been drawn will be notified no later than August 31. Hunters with disabilities who are not drawn will not be notified.

Those who are drawn will receive the following information:
        • Congratulation letter
        • Information about the Road Access Entry Area for which they were drawn, and
        • Instructions about how to obtain the entry special use permit, key, map, etc.

You may be required to visit the land managers office in person at a specific time to pick up a key, sign papers, and receive the entry special use permit.

Designated hunting companion

Designated Hunting Companion - Hunting areas have different rules about whether the hunter companion can also hunt on their license or must only assist the disabled hunter in the harvest.

Successfully drawn hunters with disabilities and their designated hunting companions must follow the rules of the land manager while hunting and driving in the permit area. You will receive a list of these rules when you receive your Road Access Entry Special Use Permit.

Depending on the area and the permit, other non-hunting persons or family members besides your hunting companion may be allowed to accompany the hunter with a disability. Each land manager makes this decision, so check before you go.


All Road Access Entry Booklet information is available ONLINE or by calling the Wildlife Program Customer Service desk at 360-902-2515, or by calling your local WDFW regional office. Questions regarding DNR lands should be directed to Heidi Stephens at 360-338-2128.

Entries for the Disabled Hunter Road Access Permit drawing for Deer and Elk must be submitted ONLINE no later than July 31 to be valid.