If you are a resident or non-resident of Washington who has been honorably discharged from military service, and have received a disability percentage rating from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA), you may qualify for a reduced-fee license if you meet the criteria below. If you are receiving a disability award or rating from the Social Security Administration or any other federal, state, and/or county entity you may not be eligible for these reduced fees.
If you have a question about your status, please contact us.
To qualify for veterans reduced fees with WDFW you must have a VA disability rating that meets one of the following (RCW 77.32.480):
- Resident veterans with at least 30 percent service connected disability as verified by VA letter.
- Resident veterans 65 years of age or older with a service connected disability as verified by VA letter.
- Non-Resident veterans with at least 30% service connected disability as verified by VA letter.
- Non-Resident veterans 65 years of age or older with a service connected disability as verified by VA letter.
Honorably discharged disabled veterans are eligible for a combination fishing license (fresh water, salt water, and shellfish) and/or hunting license(s) at a discounted rate. (RCW 77.32.480) See the license fee schedule for more information.
How to apply
- Download the veterans reduced fee application.
- Veterans must include with this application a copy of their one page VA Disability Percentage Rating letter showing name and disability rating clearly. Please do not send a copy of the multi-page medical determination report your physician sends to the VA Case Manager for adjustments. If you do not have your one page “VA Disability Percentage Rating” letter... you may obtain one by calling: (800) 827-1000, or letters can be obtained online at: www.ebenefits.va.gov then log into your premium account.
- Review the How to Retrieve a Veterans Affairs Disability Percentage Rating Letter
- Once you have your one-page VA Disability Percentage Rating letter, download and print the application and mail both to:
WDFW Licensing Division
PO Box 43154
Olympia, WA 98504
- Remember, this is for reduced fees only. This does not provide access to assistance cards, programs or facilities. You must apply for disability status which is certified by a licensed physician (MD).